1969 Cougar 428CJ Convertible - Mecum Glendale 2022

Link: https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0322-495370/1969-mercury-cougar-xr-7-convertible/

Factory R-code Cougar XR-7
428 CI Ram Air engine
C6 Cruise-O-Matic transmission
3.00 Traction Lok axle
Power steering
Power brakes with front discs
Finished in Emerald Metallic with White leather interior
Factory air conditioning
Bucket seats and center console
Power windows
Power convertible top

From the Brothers car collection. They are selling 22 at the auction. Their mechanic was here today and they are wanting a much higher ratio of 4 spd cars in the collection.

Yes, correct. I just looked at the car a few minutes ago. It is a nice car.

Don’t we all.

I thought I recognized that car from the YouTube video series. Looked like a very nice car.

That is one pretty Cougar!

Seems like that one has been around for a while. Nice looking car.

My ratio is pretty good. 2 for 2, so I can’t complain :wink:

The guy that restored it is a member here and used to post it often.

Does he want to do another one? I can use some help! I’ll be curious to see how it does. We had a 69 Std in that color, and I would not have expected a 428 CJ under the hood of such an elegant ride.

I have it’s “Q” code sibling project Cat for sale!

Silver jade & a black interior, auto, A/C, power everything!

Yes, this is Esmerelda. I sold her to the Brothers back about 10 or 12 years ago. She’s a stunner.

She’s a beauty, hats off for the quality of the restoration. Any history on the car?

Hammered at $82,000 Bid Goes on…

Auctioneer stated takes at least $90,000

I wonder why it didn’t hit the low end of the estimate. Obviously a really high-quality restoration. The emerald green color is beautiful, but not my first thought for a muscle car. That’s the only thing I could think of.

I’m the guy who restored Esmerelda. Lovely car. Lots of love went into that one.

Whats the challenge you have with your Cougar?

Hats off to you on that restoration. I’m doing a 69 428 CJ, bright blue metallic, C6 convertible. It’s similarly equipped with AC, PS, PDB, PW, Tilt, AM/FM, etc. There’s so many rare pieces in these, and you have to compete with the 428 CJ Mustang and Shelby guys. I saw the brother’s video on your former car, it has to be one of the best 428 CJ cats out there. Very inspiring as I work on mine.

Agree with you all. I did the one that sold at B J a few years back. I remember when my girl friend and I were thinking about buying it and I said, Boy, I don’t know about that color? (teal is the least macho color) Gina passed on, which made it hard to work on for a while. Gina was on the license plate when it crossed the block.
I remember after it was all cut and buffed I would walk in the shop and flip on the lights and think WOW what a beautiful color! So I bought another one, an S code, more affordable and I won’t be as nervous as a 100K car to drive and enjoy. Yes, Gina will be on the license plate cause it was all her fault.

Fantastic car and nice work! I think the 428CJ, convertible, great colors , 3.00 T-Lock with factory A/C makes a nearly unbeatable combination.