1969 Eliminator Blackout Reference Info

Hello,

Here are some reference pics and information for the blackout details on the 1969 Cougar Eliminator, as well as other items that were painted black - and a few that are not supposed to be painted black.

This information is correct to the best of my knowledge. If I have something wrong please let me know and we can investigate further, and correct / update the information here.

1969 Eliminator Exterior Blackout Summary

1969 Eliminator Black Trim

• Headlight Doors

A good paint choice for these items is SEM Trim Black (SEM 39143, 20oz Aerosol)

Front / Grille Blackout

• Headlight doors are blacked out except for the top and bottom wide chrome bands. The Eliminator headlight door blackout paint was applied over chrome.
  • Center grille outward facing surfaces are unpainted chrome.
  • The top horizontal surface of the headlight doors and center grille are painted black.
  • The rock guard panel, located behind the front bumper and below the headlights, is painted Body Color.
  • The front of the fenders (behind the headlight assemblies) were painted Body Color.
    1969 Body Color behind Headlights_#2.jpg

Other Blackout Items

While not unique to Eliminators, the following items were are commonly missed - or misunderstood - during restoration!

Rocker Panel Lower Pinch Welds

• It is currently believed that “dark” colored cars did not receive blackout paint on the rocker panel lower pinch welds*
  • Painted black the entire length of the rocker panel starting from behind the front wheel / underneath the front fender and continuing to the end of the rear quarter behind the rear wheel.

Engine Bay Firewall Pinch Weld

*Engine bay firewall pinch weld paint scheme changed during production. The approximate change date is currently believed to be around Apr 20th, 1969.

Wicked cool stuff. Thanks Mike!