1969 R-Code 428CJ/C6 Auto

I just don’t have time to restore all the cars I have collected, and therefore I’m making some gut-wrenching, difficult choices.. I just sold my 72 Lincoln Mark IV..

My first car was a 67 Coug, white with red interior, 289/3 spd. stick, and factory chrome mags that I got for $25 in 1976! My second car was a gorgeous Black Jade/Ginger interior 70. It had a 351 Windsor 2v, and could barely get out of it’s own way. I paid a whopping $1300 for it, and a short time later I found a guy with an M-code Cleveland out of a Mustang. For $275 he even installed it for me. I got the chrome side pipes brand new for $50. At 18 years old in 1978, I had the fastest pizza delivery in Dearborn, Michigan.. I loved my Cougars!

Got this 69 R-code/C6 4 years ago from Cougar Bill. It’s a very solid western car. Original bright blue metallic, black vinyl roof, black standard interior. My plan was to omit the vinyl roof, and do the interior in white, with high back Eliminator seats, and XR7/Eliminator instrumentation. In my opinion it would be stunning beautiful with that color scheme..

I spent 2 years looking for a suitable 428CJ engine. Found one dated (If I remember correctly), mid 68. Yes, it has the “C-scratch”, and “428” inside the water jacket.. The car was built November 68. Block and heads have been machined, (Again, if I remember correctly). Block needs honing, and heads need valves installed. Carb, distributor, and exh manifolds missing. New gasket set, bearings, cam, valves and oil pump. I’ll get out to the barn next weekend, and get a better inventory of exactly what I have for the engine. Have the C6 trans, 9” rear, high back buckets, and the car has Magnums on it that could be refinished. The hood scoop is on it, but not in the pics I’m posting today..

Here is a link to another 69 428CJ car for sale, with rust, and no motor or trans, for comparison, (or maybe somebody wants it).
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/baltimore-1969-mercury-cougar-428/7883767000.html

I’m offering the car to the Cougar Community first. All you guys looking at this know what you are looking at here.
Will post more pics when I can.
Always happy to answer questions.
Email: tazaxx@hotmail.com

Thanks, Tom
Forest, VA 24551
$21K OBO.








3 Likes

Great potential! Hopefully someone will snag this bad boy and get it back on the road!

2 Likes

Bump for a solid car with a lot of potential…

1 Like

One of the best colors for sure- same as Eliminators! Post some photos of the engine/trans and there should be more interest.

@428cougarguy, I have it on Ebay, but I’m ending the listing until November due to my work schedule. I got more pics this week, including the torque boxes, frame rails, and I even removed the upper cowl panel to get pics of the inside of the cowl. It’s in super nice condition, and I’m a fool to sell this car. I just have so many cars, including a Boss 351 to restore! I will post more pics on the forum when I get the chance. I’m always looking at what’s available on the market, and I think my asking price is very reasonable…

This car was also the subject of a Barnfinds thread.

Randy Goodling

CCOA #95

@CATHOUSE.. It’s because I mentioned that people were talking about my car on Barnfinds, that the Ebay system flagged the listing, saying I was violating their ‘policy’ by offering to buy or sell outside of Ebay. I’m paying Ebay a flat rate for the listing, so they get paid the same regardless of how it sells.
One person on Barnfinds said the car should be scrapped, and another said it’s only good for parts because I don’t have the original engine. I strongly disagree. There are lots of high dollar muscle cars out there with non-original, but correct engines. I’ve even seen cars go through Barrett-Jackson that were announced as “re-bodied” go for well over $100k. Sounded to me like a bunch of internet ‘experts’ on Barnfinds who all have an opinion. Sounded to me like a couple were questioning my personal motives when I’ve been completely upfront and straight in my listings. I’m posting more pics now.

Posting more pics. Torque boxes, shock towers, floors, cowl, trunk floor, trunk gutters, engine. All look pretty good to me. There is some rust under the battery tray as would be expected.. If somebody wants a 69 R-code, I’ve shown enough that it would be worth the trip to come see it in person, or talk on the phone..



















2 Likes

Yeah, there are some posters on the Barnfinds site that unless the vehicle is pristine perfect they will say scrap it, crush it, junk it, part it out. I have to wonder if those kind of people have any actual experience working on a classic vehicle. And there are some there that think they know things that they really know nothing about. The one thing that I see quite often is the “expert” who says that Ford never VIN stamped engines or transmissions.

Randy Goodling

CCOA #95

2 Likes

Cathouse, very well said. All to often I’ve seen cars being sold for parts or left to rot. When my wife and I decided to give up restoring old sailboats and jump into old cars we were fortunate to find a car that imo was going to become a part car. Lots of work ahead of us but should be worth it in the end.

2 Likes