1969 Speed Control - Factory Installation Photos

Hi all, I wanted to share some photos of the factory speed control system in my 1969 XR7 coupe. The car is a low-mileage, unmolested example as far as I can tell. I posted about the setup on Facebook, and was inundated with questions, requests for photos, and basically non-stop offers to buy it. I haven’t seen a complete walkthrough online with pictures, and thought I’d post some as a guide for this very rare system. It’s the same for Mustangs, and I may post this on the Concours Mustang site as well.

Here’s what the system looks like off the car, minus the vacuum hoses.

Speed Control Regulator

Speed Control Dash Switch

Turn signal switch

Gas Pedal & Bellows. As vacuum is applied, the pedal adjusts to the desired speed.

System is powered off the yellow accessory plug, seen here routed over the AC vent.

Plugs in between the turn signal switch and main body harness here:

Routed over the pedal support and through the black plastic piece alongside the main harness:

Wires enter the engine bay here. Same plug location as convertible top. If you had speed control and a convertible, the top power lead was combined with this harness.

Vacuum line from regulator to gas pedal bellows:

Vacuum is sourced off the tree on the back of the intake. Mine tied in with the AC vacuum.

Thank you for those pictures!

Does your install have a platsic chamber in the vacuum line between the controller and the manifold tee?

That’s great info about the power top feed being part of the speed control harness.

The small plastic ‘chamber’ in the vacuum line ( between the regulator and the vacuum tee ) that you refer to is shown in the second posted image. It is known as the “hose and muffler” assembly. It confused me for a long time, as it is not listed separately in the Ford MPC - it was supplied as part of the hose. But no longer available. Here is the ‘muffler’ in that second image :