1969 Trunk Divider

I had the rear seat out and discovered the angle braces were broken at the bottom, it looked like Ray Charles welded them with his feet from the factory! Having read about the trunk divider panel, I decided now would be a great time to add it, and stiffen up the old girl in the process. First I re-attached the braces with some self tapping screws and bolt I had while waiting for delivery of the unit.

It’s a good piece, smooth edges fit the rear nicely, I did have to hammer the hooks for the original sound deadener flat.

Since it weighs a good 16 pounds I made a template out of the box it came into fit it up and measure and mark for mounting hardware holes.

I decided on a 1/2 inch margin with a fastener every 4 1/2 inches.

this is the divider taped to the template for drilling.

Next i painted it with Rustoleum Truck Bed liner, a Mustang Youtube video suggested it for noise dampening.

I didn’t like the look, so it got a cover coat of Maui Blue, and Strip Caulk leftover from door panel work, there’s 60 feet of that stuff in one box!

I forgot to mention, the rear seat side upholstery has to come out, and to get that out, the door sill plates have to come out, PITA.

I drilled the 43 holes in the car and applied the self tapping screws. Tight, no rattles.

Trunk side

You have to like being balled up in a back seat to do the job, but the car feels a bit tighter now and less rattles. That was probably because of the loose cross braces.

She’s all back together now.

Mike M.

8 Likes