1969 xr7 428 4spd vert, barn find / New to Registry!

Don’t forget that they added that line down the side of the body to copy the '68 Buick!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, I strenuously object to the trailer queen MO. That is for someone in the next tax bracket. If I had this car, it would be a driver. Restored or preserved nicely but a driver. Im not rich enough to own exensive wall art which means I dont own garage art. This car at $50k is probably well purchased after the car has been cleaned up to reveal its true pedigree and patina. But as Bob states, his vert as mine is is built the way we want it and made to drive.

I would love to get into a conversation with one who owns garage art. Where is the joy in that?? Now, so who is going to buy that piece of crap.
:beerchug:

YOu can’t see the grill or the funny body line from inside the car… Cobra Jet… 4 speed… MUst nOt ThiNK aaaaaaaaaaaaabbouT ittttt

Seriously guys, forget about it. Buy a '68 with a 390 (for the 9" rear) and a 3-speed, get a 428 from an older t-bird that’s been in a tail-end collision, make it into a CJ, put in a 5-speed, and have a way better car without that goofy grille and Buick body line. Serve with a side of awesome sauce, and drive like the wind.

Forget this goofy old rat. Seriously, look how dirty it is!! Pfffffft!!!

That body line isn’t that bad, is it?

Oh I’m just goofing around like everyone else. I personally like the more straight and boxy side view of the 67/68, but I dig the side view of the 69/70 too. You have to admit though it really does seem like someone saw a 68 GS 400 and said “hey let’s do that!” If there was a car with the same side view as the 79/70 Cougar (or 68 GS 400) and had the front view of a 67/68 Cougar, that would be a thing of beauty. Hmmm… maybe I should try and pick up a 68 GS 400 and then get on Overhaulin’ and have Chip put a 68 Cougar front end on it!

Anyway back on topic, man does this car look undesirable and aren’t we all glad to not have it?

Any idea what car it was traded for?

This sounds like a job for Lin… and I mean that in the best way. He would probably end up telling stories with the seller until well past midnight before they even got close to the car. Same colors as the R-code he restored at KTL. Maybe he could try again and stay on budget this time. (Like anyone has ever actually done that).

I like it ! Would not mind having it, But Wait… I’ve already got one, You see !

I’d really like to have it but I don’t think my wife would appreciate me pulling money out of my retirement to pay for it.

So the choice is a wife or a CJ Vert … Thats easy …LOL

Hello CJ!! LOL

Just interested as to who bought this car?

Sean

Nobody. It can still be had for about $60k or close.

I thought this car was gone. Can someone post a good pic of a car this color clean and pretty?
Reason for edit, too early, not awake, still dreaming. No more toys, repeat, no more toys.
I’d still like to see a picture of a nice clean car this color.

Just PM the seller…

Is the seller here to PM?

Well that was rude of me… I had forgot he introduced the car and himself on a separate thread. His name is Gene and he is a life long Cougar nut and very active in the Lone Star Cougar Club.

Just reading some old posts and thought that I might answer some of the questions. Keep in mind that this was a rural Kansas car that lived in the country on gravel roads. It was most likely driven on the weekends and sat in a garage during the week. The owner (farmer/rancher) would have driven his pickup during the week which accounts for the low mileage. I grew up in a rural setting so this all makes sense to me.

1. In the 60’s it was not unusual to change points and plugs every 10,000 miles, flush the cooling system every 3 or 4 years ans replace the hoses.
  2. The pump has a C8 or 9 number so it is a date code correct pump. My guess it is a replacement.
  3. The door pull is cracked but the arm rest is perfect. Don may have the best explanation.
    4)The valve cover gaskets leaked big time on this car and that caused a lot of dirt and grease buildup (oil and gravel dust buildup). No question this engine was steam cleaned and that would have gotten a lot of the paint. Steam cleaners were always used in rural areas. Grease was always a problem on all equipment so steam was used. If the heads had been off they would have been vatted and there would be no paint. Since there is paint on the heads it is my opinion that they have not been off. The dark areas on the valve covers are (were) grease. The covers are in perfect condition. The engine has not been out of this car.
  4. The inline fuel filter would have been installed as a matter of preference. Miles would not have anything to do with it.
  5. Anyone that has ever had a rim blow wheel knows that they show wear directly related to the miles on a car. The less miles–the less wear–the better the grain. That is why Don remarked on the condition of the wheel. Cars with high mileage have very little grain left. This wheel shows only
    mild wear.

I am not a much of a blog guy. I actually did not know that this car got as many posts as it did which is why I didn’t clear up some of the questions earlier.

I was at BJ with Joe’s Eliminator and also at Bills party. The focus seemed to be on the '67’s and '68’s so I assumed there was not much interest in a dusty ole '69 so I just enjoyed the cars and the eats and didn’t say much.

There is a lot of love for 69s! And 70,71,72,73! This was a strange year in that there were so few 69 and up Cougars at the party. Speaking for myself if my finances were more stable I would be all over this car.