1969 XR7 Convertible rocker molding

I’m seeing two different reproduction rocker moldings for 1969 Cougars. Dynacorn makes a version that appears to be available at several suppliers priced between $130 and $160, and are advertised to be “anodized aluminum, as original.” I’m also finding Burton Antique Auto Parts with “polished stainless steel” rockers for $770. Is the difference the trim package that come with the car? In “The Big Book, Mercury Cougar The Classic Years 67-73” assembled by Don Skinner, Chris Brost supplies a dealer brochure that states the Decor Group is standard on the convertibles. The Decor Group includes “Bright curb molding with paint filled groove.” Is the “bright curb molding” the brochure refers to the stainless steel rocker molding that Burton reproduces? And the Dynacorn version would go on a non convertible, non XR7 trim model?

To answer your questions:
(1) No the difference in price is not based on the type of trim package ( including the rocker panel mouldings ). If ordered as a RPO ( regular production option ), or if they came standard on your car ( XR-7 ) all the rocker mouldings were anodized Aluminium.
(2) The Ford original rocker panel moldings were never made of Stainless Steel.
(3) “Bright curb molding” ( with paint filled groove ) is how the rocker moldings were described in the dealer brochure, and they were manufactured using anodized Aluminium metal.
(4) I’m not going to comment on the quality or fit of either the Dynacorn version or the Burton versions ( for that you can look at the WCCC website ) - just to state that the Dynacorn version uses the same material as original and the Burton would have to be considered a modern, non-original material ( but faithful to the style ) version.
(5) The “Sport Special” version of the rocker molding is something altogether different, in style and appearance. But aspects of the clip mounting system are the same, as is the material for the longer pieces ( covering the vehicles rocker panels ) - again made of anodized Aluminium. The other component of the Sport Special moldings are the front ‘bullets’ which were cast in chromed pot metal.

1 Like

Thanks so much!!

I have the Burton’s. They’re far nicer than original. If you’re into that kind of thing!

2 Likes