1970 Passenger Side Sport Mirror Install / Riv-Nut Install

Nice job!.. interesting base

Thanks! My drivers side sport mirror also has a chrome base

Looks great!

Is it factory or your personal touch?

I believe 69s had a chromed base. 70s have a painted base.

On XR-7’s. Not sure about Sport specials. Also no right hand mirror was available for 1967.

My February 69 built Sports Special had a chrome base and painted top.

Just a tip after reading through these posts, whenever you want to drill through a painted panel obviously cover it with tape and use a new bit but first spin the bit backwards and it will “shave” its way through the paint without chipping. Once you reach metal then drill in the correct direction to complete the hole.

1 Like

So for XR7 trim on the top of the door…with the passenger side Sport mirror install, is there a shortened trim piece available for the XR7 passenger door?

No the mirror mounts below the trim, very unlike the DS.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/13890-Side-View-Mirror-Sport-Passenger-Side-Manual-Repro-1969-1973-Mercury-Cougar.html?attribs=79

Look at the last picture in post #20.

1 Like

Or here at mine.

I went to attach my my mirror for a 1970 Torino #C09B-17713-AW and it doesn’t seem to mount parallel to the window frame like yours does instead it seems to mount at an angle. What is the story?

mirror 3.jpg
mirror 2.jpg
mirror 1.jpg

Well…unfortunately the C9OB mirror base is the incorrect application for the passenger door on our 69-70 Cougars.
The 70 Eliminator debuted with the added Right hand sport mirror, and D0OB was the casting no. found on that mirror base. Design application was for 70 Ford Torino / Mercury Cyclone, and was also used on 70 Cougar Eliminator. The one year later D10B Right mirror base, that was also Torino / Cyclone, application, will also work on 69 /70 Cougar passenger doors.

This has been some great info as I am about ready to do this on our 69. I got all the parts from WCCC. I’ll post pics once it’s done.