Hi all winter has not slowed me down to much.
I thought it would be a good time to work on the EEC wiring from the turbo coupe and identify all the loose ends.
The t-bird harness is all linked together with the rest of the car so it was necessary to dissect the whole thing. A harness from a ranger truck or mustang might have been easier to do but there are circuits in the t-bird harness that I needed/wanted to keep.
My goal was to remove all circuits that pertain to the engine computer, circuits for the gauges. As well as power distribution for those circuits.
I also saved the electronic modules for the door/key chime, low fuel light. Over boost buzzer and my fuel (MPG) monitor.
I also ended up with some nice heavy gauge feed wires with relays for powering high current circuit loads.
The engine harness contains an integrated relay control module that has the relays for the fuel pump, cooling fans, a/c clutch, as well as the relay for the computer system.
It also has the alternator charge circuit (I need the higher amp alternator) with the amp meter shunt that I will use instead of the one from the cougar.
It took some time to strip it all out but armed with a good supply of wiring diagrams for the t-bird and the cougar I was able to generate a huge junk pile of left over wire.
The car was fully loaded and had a lot tied into the harness.
I took what I saved and hung it from my basement ceiling as it would be laid out in the car to work on.
As I identified circuits I put a water resistant tag on each one with it’s
Circuit name/circuit number that corresponds to the t-bird wiring diagrams. This part of the car will be serviced as a 1988 thunder bird turbo coupe.
Point of interest is that some of the circuit numbers/wire colors are the same between the two cars. I have found many things that did not change after 18 years between these two cars. Some day maybe just for fun I will write them all down. It would be interesting.
I now have a rough draft of a harness for the engine controls and I was able to re-pin the interconnecting plugs that runs up to the gauge cluster using the t-bird connectors and wiring that I had removed. I won’t be using the gauge wiring from the cougar (more on that next time).
Every wire and plug pin out or any changes have been documented for future reference and repair.
The harness is ready and waiting for a warmer garage for installation.
At that point I will find a spot for the computer and cut the wires to length and merge it with the cougars electrical system.
And at the same time keep from altering the car that would prevent it from being put back to it’s original condition if needed. I do not want to cut or splice into the original system.
I will try to use any available plug in the original cougar circuit in order to keep from hacking wires. so that might be a challenge to do but I have 45 days to think about it.
Next step is the gauge cluster. I have been working on the gauge cluster as well and it has turned out good so far.
This is first time post with photobucket so here goes.
just the under hood wiring.
hung up for inspection
the left overs ABS ,RIDE CONTROLE, KEYLESS ENTRY, AND A BUNCH MORE.
Some of the wiring tags