1971 CJ Convertible Question

Why could you not order air conditioning in your 1971 Cougar convertible with a 429 CJ but you could with a Mustang?

Is this a rhetorical question??

Spacing/fitment issues?

Because Cougars are already cooler then Mustangs even without AC. :flushme:

Hint, it was a safety issue.

It had to do with the weight over the front tires.

You are correct! The Mustang just barely fit under federal requirements for a convertible, the Cougar was just a few pounds over. Good Job Neal!

To be more correct a/c would have required larger “g” series tires to meet the weight requirements, which suffered from a wheel clearance issue resulting in a wheelhouse redesign. Hence it was easier to limit a/c availability on a “anticipatedd low production car”.

The interesting fact is that weight was only an issue on XR7/C6 cars - 4spd and standard conv would have been light enough to meet the requirements.

Great input. Would’ve created some head scratching if you could get AC in a std. but not XR7.

I recall that there was at least one convertible with AC built as a development vehicle. I can’t find it now, but if I do I will post some details.

Or on a 4spd and not the C6

Yes there is a write up in “Road Test” Magazine 10/70 on this car. I have only seen a black and white reprint of this article.

I beleive that “Popular Mechanics” 09/70 shows the same car in their new car review edition, there is a small picture of a White/Black XR7 Conv with a hood scoop.

Thanks Mitch! I tried to find the article and came up dry. I will do a little more digging and post a link if I find it.