302 Cougars acting tough

I ran the '68 XR-7 yesterday and the 2012 V6 Mustang today. Ran two classes yesterday at Tasca Ford Showdown, a bracket class and Open Comp, which is .500 Pro Tree. I was worried the mild 302 and stock rebuilt C4 wouldn’t react well enough on the pro tree, so I deep staged. My friend Jim Reilly (Fox Mustanger) and I ended up in the finals, so we asked for best 2 out of 3. Jim won when I kept breaking out (OC is handicapped by your quicker of two qualifying), but we had fun racing with some amazing lights cut by both of us (e.g., .004 vs .009, etc).

I bought a copy of a neat launch picture of the little '68 - the thing looks like it’s a 428CJ! Love this car.

Great shot, great to see old cats at the track. Thanks for the share :smoke:

My 302 definitely does not hop that high. lol

Hello RB Phillips. Nice launch shot! Regarding your front tires, can you tell me if they are radial or bias ply. If they are radials can you tell me where you got them from? I’m looking for the thin whitewall stripe like those have. Thank you, Jim R

Diamondback Tires can make any size tire with any size whitewall you can dream up.

http://dbtires.com/2011_catalog/2011catalog_Hi.pdf

P.S. It’s an old link but it still works.

You should share that with the guy I bought your car from. Glad to see the right guy connected with the right car! Mention it on your next order and these are free.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/16708/30791/grille-headlight-eyelid-stop-/-alignment-kit-new-1967-1968-mercury-cougar.html?attribs=76

Thanks Local Hero, I will check out Diamondback Tires. Sorry to the original poster for the hijack. Jim R

I just checked in, sorry. Those are indeed Diamonback custom jobs, meant to do exactly what you guys spoke of - move the whitewall out. Email direct; they claim to know what the correct “outboard” spacing is, so I went with theirs.

They use BF Goodrich Radial T/As as a starting point, by the way. Mine are radial F70-14 equivalents, 205-70s.

Don, the headlight doors droop that badly only on launch - honest - but I’ll take you up on it. The great launch stance is in part owing to all those Front End Rebuild kit parts, including the smooth-pivoting coil spring perches.

I have a set of Diamondbacks on my wife’s 75 Olds Vert. They are Pirelli brand and what I really like are they smooth sidewalls with only the whitewall and no other embossed lettering or numbers.

Hello RB Phillips. Thanks for the info on your tires. I have been looking for the correct pin stipe width and outboard location. Looks like Diamondback has exactly what I need. Thank you, Jim R.

They were responsive and helpful in email; I forgot if I ended up ordering by phone or not to make sure there was zero misunderstanding by me or them. Call, they’re nice people and on eastern time.