65 Galaxie

So while I was at the car show a couple of weeks back, I noticed the tank on my '65 was dripping fuel. I figured it would be no big deal finding 65 fuel tank as I seem to tecall so many on the road when I was growing up. WRONG!! After hours of phone calls, emails, etc., I finally settled on a '66 fuel tank which of course is enough bigger that it hangs 3" lower. So after a test fit, I am now searching for longer tank straps.

Sometimes I find myself asking,“Does the fun ever start?” In the bright side, once I’m done the car will have a bit more range. I just never figured that the ACTUAL size tank for this car would not be produced by ANYONE!

No offence but I smiled a little reading that. My younger brother has a 64 pontiac that he is extensively modifying, but he gets frustrated really easilly when parts don’t just bolt onto a 50 year old car after you start making changes. You reminded me of how we had to make “custom” straps for his new tank. (My brothers 22 and very much a rookie when it comes to really working on stuff, I’m not making any direct comparisons to you). It amazes me how hard certain parts are to find. I teally thought a gas tank would be a fairly easy one

I knew there would be a couple of challenges, so that is why this was a mock up. That being said, when you have shiny new parts “that close” to being installed, it’s hard not to get a little anxious. As far as patience goes, there are times I think the 22 yr old version if me was more patient.

At least I know the tank will fit, and at least the fuel dripping original is now somewhere safeand is empty. I have some stainless under the deck. I may replicate what I have just longer. Or just extend the stockers. It wasn’t a fruitless day. It’s just that as a whole, it has been a pita.

The next time someone complains about lack of parts for a 67-70 they need to be directed to this post. There are a few more common Fords that are harder to get some things that we probably take for granted as available. My '65 is proving itself to be one of those cars. That being said, they’ll have to pry the title from my cold dead hands :laughing: .

Bailing wire…enough strands of it, and you will have “custom tank straps”

:laughing: I’m gonna get longer bolts for the bottom to make up the difference first. As long as ground clearance is good, I’m gonna let it ride. Another thing I found while I was under the car: A clearance issue between the tail pipes and rear tires. I can’t fit my ring finger between the rear inner edge of the rear tire and the tailpipe on each side. That’s WAY too close tome for one of the hottest things on a car being that close to something that heat destroys so that’s getting addressed too.

For reference. Having played guitar for thirty years, I have very skinny fingers, so between 3/8 & 1/2" between the tailpipes and rear tires, and that is forcing my finger between the two, so probably close to 1/4".

Got the fuel pump on, moved the tailpipes away, as far as I could get them which is 2" (better than1/4", but not enough for me). Car fired right up. Took it for a drive and no scrubbing, or dragging. I’m gonna do a spring spacer for a little more height, but they are stout enough that they Don’t drop alot. Actually they are pretty firm.