67 289 271hp "Cougar Kit" Engine

There was a small block “Cougar” intake a valve covers on Craigslist last week for $1600. The ad is no longer listed, otherwise I would have posted it. It was located in Tacoma, WA area…

Some really cool stuff.

Very cool advertisement sheet for the dealers. I’ve seen the tach before but not the wood rimed steering wheel.
Steven

That is a page out of the “How To Sharpen A Cougars Claws” brochure.

The wood rimmed steering wheel is basically the '67 Shelby wheel with a Cougar center. Those wheels are big, big bucks these days.

• Phillip

I love the Shelby/Cougar valve covers pictured in the brochure.

Never seen those in-the-flesh.

I can’t recall ever seeing that cast alumn wheel on a Cougar.

Me either Brian - I don’t think those 1967 Shelby “Ten Spoke” wheels would have cleared the '68 disc brakes.

• Phillip

I have one of those tachs from the catalog…bought it from WCCC back when I was on a rampage hoarding all the parts I could think of that would help Gunner sell well. As I could never decide the best place to put it in the car, I just decided to keep it as a collectible, so now it’s screwed to a display table up in the loft in the shop. It’s about as close as I’ve ever come to being a “parts hoarder” lol

Years ago when I had my '67 standard DGS a found a very cool, vintage Dan Gurney branded tach.

Boy, I wanted that so bad for the DGS - but just couldn’t spring for it. Can’t remember how much, but it was expensive.

Haven’t seen another one since.

• Phillip

Here is a cool ad from the June 8, 1968 issue of Competition Press & Autoweek.

Sure wish they would hurry up and invent a time machine….