'67-'68 Cougar Parts Liquidation (long)

Hi Cougar friends,
After 30+ fun years of enjoying my '67 Cougar XR7; I sold it earlier this year to its new happy owner. I’m now liquidating a few parts I had remaining in my “extras” and “just in case” storage. Some of these parts were collected as long as 30 years ago. Some found in Columbus Ohio, some at Carlisle in Pennsylvania, a bunch in Colorado, Arizona, California, Oklahoma and other places in the USA. They were mostly collected long before this thing we know as the internet was available, where we are all now connected and can locate these items much more easily, and much more expensively too. I remember anxiously waiting for the next issue of ATSOTC so I could browse the classifieds. Maybe grab that giant Hemmings at the grocery store. Do you remember our early bulletin boards? Dial in through your super fast 1200 or less baud modem and get on that bulletin board and chat a little, look for parts, discuss issues? We moved on to other methods, eventually to mercurycougar.net and then to the classiccougarcommunity.com and eBay and Craigslist etc. etc. etc… Remember the battle around TCCN?!? A lot of ego in those discussions as I recall. I was a minor computer geek and web whacked the entire TCCN site for my personal use just to archive the good info that was there. I referenced it occasionally over the years. Great articles and stories. I also have a nearly complete set of Cougar Club of America newsletters ATSOTC from 1980-2002+ if anyone is interested in those, good historical information. A few of the Oklahoma/Tulsa Cougar club newsletters too.

I frequented Stang-Its, with my friend the late Ron Johnson, Apple Valley, Randy Goodling, Phil Askew, John and Dee. I remember meeting John and Dee at a Columbus Spring Swap (I went back multiple times) in the very late 80’s, super nice couple, loved to talk Cougars. Saw them again at the Denver Nationals in the 90’s. Also met Ken of Kens Cougars from Edmond Oklahoma at the Columbus Spring Swap, what a guy, have to say I never bought a single part from him. There were others there too that were Mustang dealers that sold Cougar parts if they were shared. I remember seeing a complete NOS front grill in Columbus for a '68 Cougar for sale. Just didn’t have the $350 on hand they were asking for it. Yikes. I did buy an NOS rear trunk trim there for about $40 I recall, had to carry it back to Colorado as an airline carry on so it wouldn’t get damaged. Looked like I had a sword or weapon - nobody was concerned back then. I bought 5 '68 styled steel wheels in Tucson, 2 buried in the sand 2 on a an old Studebaker and 1 in a trunk at a salvage yard off Aho way. No re-pop wheels in those days. $200 for the set and I put them on the plane back to CO as luggage, no extra charge. Were those the days for flying? Things changed.

I could go on but this is likely boring for most of you. The link to what I have listed thus far is below. There are some parts I have not yet listed but I will update this site as things sell and I add other items. I usually timestamp the site when updated.

'67-'68 Cougar Parts

I’m hoping Don doesn’t mind (or sue me) my borrowing some of his descriptive text in some cases, he is better at the descriptions than I. I have purchased parts from Don in the past, thanks Don. I first met Don at Carlisle a long time ago, then again at Bills a few times, then when Brian sold his GTE at Barret Jackson and I think again at Scott Taylor’s later on. John Benoit and I have traded a couple of parts over the years. When I was working a contract in Tacoma in the '90’s I visited John at his home in Puyallup where he graciously gave me a tour of his shop. I loved the Polar White GTE he had then. The re-pop saddle tan arm rests I have for sale were a trade from John for some cruise control parts I had. It was always more fun to swap/trade than exchange dollars for me.

My Cougar family (Ya’ll) are welcome to make reasonable offers if you think I’m asking too much (or not enough) for a part. It will help if I know you too. Thus far, I’ve sold off many parts without having anyone wanting to negotiate the prices, mostly because the parts I sold have been rather nice. I’ve had locals to AZ create lists and come again and again. I had a half dozen trunk trims sell, front bumpers, seat belts, restored Vinyl roof trim, overhead consoles, an NOS radio, a few interior pieces, bumper trims, splash shields, valances, seat belt sets, pulleys, and much, much more already sell. Shipping these days seems high to me so be prepared to arrange your own or pay the U.S. mail piper. You can make an offer for the entire lot too if you are so inclined. Keep in mind I’ve had these items for 30 plus years in some cases and am not in any particular hurry. I have the space to store them for now.

If interested, I’m using the proceeds from the parts sales to help finance the restoration of my original owner CJ7 Renegade that I bought new in 1981 (an '82 model), the year I moved to CO, the year I got married, those “early marriage” years we’re all so fond of. The Jeep has a lot of sentimental value to me. We had many adventures in that CJ7, in CO and Utah, 4 wheeling, skiing, camping and more. Where I live now I have plenty of off-roading access just a mile or so up the road. And a great nostalgia for that Jeep. It should be ready by winter here which is the best time to go 4 wheeling in Arizona.

Let me know what you need. I would also like to recommend some people who worked on my Cougar and did some quality work. Cougar Bill in Colorado and Scott Taylor in Arizona. Good people in the Cougar hobby you should support.

Thanks,

I’m interested in the straighter rear valance. I’ll shoot you a PM.

Nice collection of parts, and nice job listing them with pictures and everything!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, good luck w/the parts sales & the CJ resto.

WOW- what a great list and just wish you had collected 69-70 parts !! your recollection was also like a memory lane walk…we must have crossed paths at some time- I was at the Denver Nationals and did a little volunteering judging that day- I remember I got a good sunburn as I was not as used to being out that long in a higher elevation and it did not seem as hot…I also was one of the original members of the first go around for the South Central Cougar Club - the Tulsa and surrounding areas…the first club President was Bud ??? I gave my old newsletters to the current club back in 2017. Good luck with the sale and the CJ resto

Hi Chris, We certainly had to cross paths. I also went to the Shelby meet in Tulsa… a long time ago in 1991, did you make that? I recall Jay Williams drag racing in his yellow '69 Eliminator. He did well.

Just uploaded a slew of additional items and restructured the website a little to make it easier to find what you might be looking for. AND I still have more things to list, hopefully over the weekend.

I added categories for Outside of the Car, Under The Hood, Trunk, Electrical, NOS, Inside the Car, and Literature/Manuals

Loads of updates 9/10. Getting close to having everything listed. Found a box of manuals, magazines, literature as well as collectables that I just added.

Need something? Below is a menu with links to specific pages of parts.

Parts MENU

Outside the Cougar
Under the Hood
In the Trunk
Memorabilia
Electrical
NOS
Inside the Cougar
Literature and Manuals

Have fun!

A number of things have sold so this is the latest update, 09/18/2019.

More updates 10/2. Just located a box of unopened and also opened die cast, Johnny L., Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Sun and more that will be posted as soon as possible.

Parts MENU

Outside the Cougar
Under the Hood
In the Trunk
Memorabilia
Electrical
NOS
Inside the Cougar
Literature and Manuals

Have fun!

More updates 11/6. Added a few Johnny Lightning, Matchbox, Ertl, HO scale, Sun Star, etc. Die-cast that I have.

Parts MENU

Outside the Cougar
Under the Hood
DieCast
In the Trunk
Memorabilia
Electrical
NOS
Inside the Cougar
Literature and Manuals

Have fun!

Still making room for my Jeep restoration by selling 67-68 Cougar parts. Lots of things have already sold but still, some good items remain. I’ve even added a few things as every time I open a box or a drawer I come across little things that have been hiding for years.

Email sent.

Thanks, do you mind resending it? I think I saw it in my spam file and I was a little too quick on the trigger and emptied the files before getting to review them all. Sorry.

C7XR7,

Check your PMs. Let me know if you got it or the email.

CWatson

PM sent in regards to the wiper motor you have listed on your site.

CWatson