67 Cougar for sale and need some advice!

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1967 Cougar with a 289 automatic that has 18,000 original miles. Everything on the car is completely original. Nothing has been replaced on this car. The car has been stored for the past 25 years in my uncles garage. I can get it for probably $15,000. What is everyone’s thought?

1 Like

You seem to be getting a great deal👍🏽 crazy low miles for such an old car. Without seeing the car….it’s a no brainer, buy it!

1 Like

Pictures would be helpful. As always condition and rust are critical to value.

Most low mileage cars of this vintage are actually over 100,000 miles. The old speedometers rolled over to zero and started over

I’ve seen the car many times. It is in near perfect condition. Just don’t know much about cougars. Pulled it out of storage and it fired right up! Thanks again for the input.

1 Like

Hmmm. Not a chance in hell that a car stored for 20 years is going to run unless it has been religiously run and the fluids refreshed. Old gas turns into shellac and sticks everything in the carb and fuel pump.

What’s the rest of the story?

I didn’t mean without preparations! The fluids were always maintained.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Unmolested original cars are becoming extremely rare

Yes, photos of such a low-mile, unmolested Cougar would be very welcome (and helpful in determining value).

You say it’s your uncle’s car? Sounds like you know the cars history then? Did your uncle buy it new?

As stated before, rust would be a factor, and what other options the car has. Color also effects value.

• Phillip

He bought it 25 years ago from an older lady. It sat in her garage for years before he bought it from her. The car has absolutely no rust at all.

Without pictures difficult to comment. Most of us have seen cars that didn’t live up to their descriptions. A few pics of exterior, interior, and under hood would help get you feedback. Odometers were pretty easily changed- I know for a fact that my Cougar has had at least three different odometers.

If you have seen the car recently and you have a good family history with your uncle - BUY IT!!!

Advice is post some pictures, and will get you some real answers.

It might run now…but if it has been sitting for any amount of time with low fuel, you will be putting in a fuel tank because I guarantee it has rust in it. All the fluids need to be changed and flushed. You can tell if it is 18k or 118k by looking at the brake pedal. If it is worn, rounded corners, it’s 118k. Seats, carpet, steering wheel should show no signs of wear if it has 18k. Belts should be original as should all the brakes. Look it over good.

You should have a look!!