67 or 68 question

Hey guys, Ive got a question about my late model 67. I’ve been under the assumption that someone has put a 302 in it along the way as the 67 didn’t have the 302 but I’ve recently (now) had to pull the heads off for bad gaskets and , in running the exhaust manifold numbers , it shows as 67/68 302 heads. Now given that it could have been changed , is there any possibility, in a late 67 (think it was March) that the 302 is Stock? Can’t happen these days but stories do abound of “oddities” caused by parts shortages. Thoughts?

The first thing I’d say or ask is, do you have a Marti report for your Cougar? It will tell you exactly how your Cougar was built.
https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm
Steven

Back in the day when you needed a valve job you took your heads to the local machine shop and exchanged them for a fresh rebuilt pair. Lots of our cars ended up with parts that are “close” to correct but not correct as a result.

On your post you stated you ran the numbers off your exhaust manifolds, The exhaust manifolds off a 289 and 302 are the same, you would need to run numbers on block and heads to know if the true year.