67 Rear Bumper Gap

I just got my car back from the body shop and there is an air gap (little more than 1/4 inch) between the passenger side rubber insert and rear quarter panel extension. The body shop says the bumper is bent. I took off the bumper and the bumper is straight. I went by a body and frame shop and they were at a loss as to why I have the air gap on the passenger side. The car was hit in the rear a long time ago. I have attached pictures of the driver and passenger side of the bumper and a view from the rear. I would just like to remove the air gap. I would appreciate thoughts on a path forward.

You mention that the Cougar had been in an accident. Probably best to check the underbody / “uni-body” dimensions. Here is a link to the mercurycougar.net website, where you can see ( copy / download ? ) the measurements :

Front Frame Measurements | Page 2 | Mercury Cougar Owners

If everything checks out and there are no variations from the factory measurements ( the body shop doing the repair managed to get the underbody ‘back into spec’ ) then you have this option :

Make sure to watch the video - it is invaluable to see it ‘in action’ as well as knowing that it was actually used in the factory ( as well as most body shops ) to correct bumper alignment !

I think alot of times the bumper is just slightly tweaked to the point you get a different spacing from left to right. You might try loosing everything and adjusting to match up left and right. You may also need to use what’s called a hustler stick to adjust into place.