67 XR7 Build Thread?!

I started thinking about the suspension components in the front and, really, most of them (with the exception of the tie rod ends, naturally) just need new bushings. Is there a recommended bushing kit out there?

It looks like the big block hose kit at WCCC has four hoses in it. Is that the correct one you mentioned? I take you mean I should replace the hoses first, then rebuild the control valve, and then the ram cylinder. Should I check for leaks after I rebuild or replace each one before doing the next one? It looks like power steering is leaking at two or three different places. The biggest leak appears to be beneath the pump, the next one is further back on the car close to the center line, and the possible third one is right next to the second one a bit toward the passenger side. Does that help?

There are two ways to approach this in my opinion:

Locate the leaks first. Clean it all up… messy and a pain… then tape some paper towels around the various parts that show fluid. Drive it a bit then remove the paper towels and it should be readily apparent what is leaking. Lots of time what you find is that the wind under the car blows the fluid all over the place making you think that you have multiple leaks in lots of the wrong places. Now you know exactly what needs to be fixed.

Go ahead and do the reseal kits and hoses all at one time. It is a pretty good bet that even if one or more of the old rubber seals is still good now, after almost 50 years it is going to fail pretty soon any way. The kits are relatively cheap and you have to be in there to start with some what the heck… (beware: WIAAIIMAW while I am at it I might as well… this can lead to some serious stuff)

But the hose kit below is the one you are referring to, yes? And it will work more easily with my small block than the other options?
http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/fepskit.html

WIll I probably need to upgrade my p.s. control valve to the 5/16" size that became standard on the 68? It would be quite irritating to spend $134 on a hose set that didn’t fit my control valve. I’d rather not spend $300+ on a different control valve, if avoidable.

For some reason I am thinking that you have a later build 67 so I am thinking it came with the 68 style control valve. (XR7 was not introduced until about mid year 67). A quick check of the size of the fittings will answer the question.

Bill, the control valve was switched to the larger hoses during the '67 run?

I would have to refer to the Mercury Master Parts catalog to verify this, but to the best of my knowledge there was a change over in late '67. The flow rate on the smaller size allowed the driver to “get ahead” of the power steering. I can’t recall if there was a Technical Service Bulletin on this or not, but the standard fix for this was to go to the new sized valve. My understanding is that the faster steering boxes used in the “sporty” cars like the Cougar and Mustang drove the change.