68 interior and exterior color combination examples

Hi all, I am restoring my '68 XR7 X code close to spec and soon need to make a decision about exterior paint. The interior is going to remain its original Dark Ivy Gold, but I just do not like the original “I” Lime Frost Metallic exterior. My preference is to stay within the 1968 Mercury Cougar/etc. paint color chart. Paint charts are not very helpful in picturing what those colors really look like on a vehicle. “P” Pewter Beige Metallic looks bland on a chart, but may look awesome in real life.

Others in my life have pointed out to me that my ideas about color coordination are not always the most reliable. Hoping for an assist here about resources.

1. Does anyone know of a reliable list of the most common factory ordered combinations of exterior + interior colors? For example - what were the most common exterior colors ordered with Dark Ivy Gold interiors, etc.?

2. Can anyone please identify a website gallery, if it exists, that displays photos of Mercury vehicles in 1968 colors with those color names accurately identified? Couldn’t find a gallery for the above here in CCC or anywhere online.

3. Does most everybody restore their accent striping in a repaint? Looks like there were just four color choices of white, black, silver and red.

4. Color choice aside for a moment, what is important to consider choosing between acrylic lacquer, acrylic enamel and enamel or whatever their modern equivalents are? Those seem to have been three paint options in 1968.

I think you’ll find your combination of Lime Frost with Dark Ivy Gold to be the most popular. I used to dislike the lime frost as well, but if you haven’t I would urge you to get a look at it when it’s freshly painted. It’s a really nice color.

The CCOA has put together an awesome website that they are adding to constantly.

Check out the “Members Rides”, 1968 section for some nice photos of various paint and interior combos.

https://cougarclub2.org/cougars/membersrides/members1968/

• Phillip