69 Convertible Glass and Color of Frame

Hey guys, new to Cougar ownership and working on classics.

1. On the convertible I bought, the top and frame all work great, but the bottom half of the rear window glass is disconnected from the top half. I have the bottom half of the glass, carefully wrapped. Is that “fixable?” If not, can I just purchase a convertible rear window and just use the brass zipper to put it in to the existing top? (I have seen some E-Z On Top rear glass windows sold separately online in black, but I don’t know what brand the existing top is.) Or will I need to purchase an entire top for a shop to install?

2. Also, what is the correct factory color of black used on the convertible frame?

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Nice looking XR-7! There might be a way to re-attach that seal, but I would purchase a replacement as that seal does a lot of flexing. John’s Classic Cougar sells them. If your handy, that window can be unzipped at top, remove well liner, unbolt tack strip bars (I believe 7/16 lag bolts), measure carefully where to retack bottom skirt (important as you don’t want any slack…) and reverse the steps. Hint: loosen top a bit so you’re not fighting the tightness when re-attaching mounting tack bars. Otherwise, take it to upholstery shop that specializes in vert tops. I recently removed the bottom skirt of top from body and put it back together without much issue.

And by all means, spend the money on the folding glass, not the plastic replacement. Your car looks too good to be cheapened by the plastic version.

Good question on frame color. Mine is not quite gloss or flat, somewhere in-between, but mine maybe age discolored.

Good luck!

I’ve found Dupli-color semi gloss black engine paint to be a near perfect match for pulleys, wheels, and the convertible top frame too. A little higher durability too since it’s engine paint.

Roy, thanks for the thorough tips and advice. I am going to get the folding glass replacement as you recommend.

Craig, thanks for the paint color and even including a photo with the exact product number.

Really appreciate the help!

You can repair the glass connection with a lot of patience. You need clear silicone for the repair. Use wax paper on the side that is down and then tape out the edge you want on the top. Keep very smooth. You can use a narrow spackle blade. Then when semi dry flip onto wax paper and do the process again. Difficult but not impossible. It will get you a few years.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I will try that as well. Appreciate it.

A note here, the window should be unzipped & let down into the well before the top comes down.

Mine 70 back window hinge split. I used the Loctite #SI 595 silicone and silicone tape on the inside to reglue the folding glass hinge. (both silicone bought on Amazon) I trimmed up the edges of the old silicone hinge with a razor blade and lacquer thinner to clean the surfaces. I lined up the glass using thin cardboard against the top to protect the top material and not break the glass. Using welding magnets and a foot long strips or angel iron of either side to line up the glass and hold in place. I was very carful on the set up using the magnets and angle iron. Put a strip of silicone tape on the inside of the glass where the hinge is going to be to keep the silicone cock from oozing out. I would test the cock by trying to put a small bit of silicone in a bead and find what solvent that effective on the silicone cock to smooth out any imperfections, by using light touch with solvent. Otherwise if touched after out of the tube it looks like a finger in cake icing. I cut the tip, trimming it back smaller to bigger, till i got a bead size i liked. After I was satisfied with the spacing of the top and bottom glass and I applied the silicone taped on the back side of the top and bottom side to side. I applied the cock one side to the other in one shot, trying to be smooth and flat as possible. It came out great. I didn’t find a solvent before and had only a slight area I wiped to clean up. After the cock set up and cured I took off the magnets and angle iron. I worked the top slowly and functions great. It has been about 5 years now and happy. Make sure you have anough gap between the glass to allow the silicone hinge flex.

Sevenliter66, thanks for taking the time to put together such detailed instructions and photos! A lot of great tips. Really appreciate it. And your results look great. Thanks again!