69 Custom Grille Replacement Project

Thank you for your feed back 69XR7Ragtop. I use both of the Cougar forums and several others sites frequently to gain information when I’m working on the car so its a pleasure to give back when I can. Mechanically my car is far from stock but when it comes to the Cougar specific stuff this is the place to come.

When I finish the grille project I’ll post some more pictures of the car but here are a few from before I started the grille work.

Whoah! I had no idea how extensive your build was. That’s badass!

Thank you

Ive followed the build thread, top notch work for sure!

I love builds like these and wish I had deep enough pockets to take one on. Maybe my next project!

That is really a cool looking machine, and now I see why you’d need headlights that shine further down the road than the stock units.

If I had a car like that they’d lock me up for sure. :sunglasses:

Man that car is a beast, do you have a link to the build write up? Would love to read through it.

Like Blitz said…bad ass for sure.

Thank you all for the comments I really appreciate them. I gave a little of the story on the car in the beginning of this thread but I hope to squeeze out some time after I finish the grille to do a better write up on my history with this car. I will definitely post a few more pics when the grille is done but here’s a better shot of the custom grille that I’m replacing now. Once I’m done I will be putting the custom grille and Dapper headlights for sale if anyone is interested.

I’ve been following this on both sites. I really like you car. I’m liking forward to reading more about it. Keep up the good work.

I’d be interested in your old headlights for my 1969 Mustang. If they are somehow integral to your grille I’d understand if you don’t wish to part them out. PM with a price if interested.
PS- your car is fantastic. Coyote and T56 under vintage metal is on the bucket list.

PM sent

Well I finished the headlight door adjustment and got the lights all in and tested. Doors were sloppy when the were open until I installed the repro bushings on the center brackets. Now they open and close solid. No door movement when open or closed. Still bang a little bit but I’m not sure if that’s normal. You can hear it in the video below. Anybody that has the Cat Headlights installed it would be appreciated to know your thoughts.

https://youtu.be/zql6HqQSJlM

PM replied to but it appears to still be in my outbox like it wasn’t sent. Post here if you don’t get it by tonight ? Thanks

I got it. The same thing happens with me.

Small update on my progress. The grille is completely removed and packed up for delivery to the powder coat/painter. I’m waiting on a few pieces to finish out the packing. I hope to deliver it on Wednesday. On another note, I want to throw out a big thank you to Don and the crew at WCCC. THANK YOU! They have been fantastic through this process with parts and advice. They have stood behind everything they sold me and at times have shipped extra parts when I was trying to get pieces to fit properly. If you look back to the beginning of this thread you will see I started with a non-original grille. Don was able to source a complete grill including brackets and hardware. Pretty certain they are sick of me and I’m the bulls-eye on the break-room dart board but they haven’t said it out loud to me!
Grille removed.jpg
Grill Boxed.jpg

I had a headlight door with a broken stud that I was able to use as a test piece with the powder coat/painter. After blasting it they said they think they could powder coat it but all the imperfections from the chrome peeling would show through. So I am going to have the cast parts body worked and painted and the metal parts powder coated.

I have sent you a few PM’s and it seems like they are also trapped in my outbox. Have you received any from me?

Your PM messages are not trapped, the recipients just never opened them. They stay in your out box until they are opened.

Good to know. Thank you

Small update on my grille replacement. While waiting on the paint/powder coating (very slow…groan) I have finished the car side harness for the lights and headlight door motor. I have also made up a new hard line and bracket for the relocated AC drier. I striped out and integrated the Cats Headlight motor harness directly into my harness. I ran the power feed through the passenger fender well area into the cabin and tied it directly into a spare location on my fuse panel eliminating the inline fuse in the Cat Headlight harness. I love the mesh split looms! They are much easier to work with compared the the split corrugated plastic. As mentioned in a previous post the trigger for the motor relay is fed by the parking light circuit. This enables the headlight doors to open and the halos to light when the parking lights are turned on.
IMG_0573.JPEG

IMG_0589.JPEG
IMG_0590.JPEG