69 firewall color

Hi,
In 69, the transition between the engine bay black and body color came down to a different level on the fire wall. I don’t remember which is early and which is late. Is it known when the change happened by vin or date ?

thanks.

Since you have a Dearborn built car - that’s what you are asking about right? - the car would be what it was on that given day. Each one is a little different, and the fact is you need to document yours and try to duplicate how that car was built. No other car was built the same.

I think you’re referring to the cowl area above the pinch weld. If so, it was painted body color until late April of 69 and switched to black after that.

1 Like

Yes, Dearborn. The car was built 4/11/69.
Sounds like it should be body color. The car was repainted, so I am not sure if it was re-done the same as original or not.
Here is a pic.

The engine compartment looks to have never been touched up. In no case was it ever body color. Document what you see and copy it.

The body plug in the center above the pinch weld is painted yellow from previous body work. It is that area of the panel that is in question. As Jeff mentioned it was body color before late April. Then the engine bay black went up to the weather strip later on. It appears mine should be body color down to the pinch weld…and a new body plug.

You might just want to try cleaning it first and see how it comes out. You’d be suprised!

My Eliminator was a May build.

For what is worth, my late (25th) April '69 built car is body color above the pinch weld and black below. Dearborn built as well.

Above the pinch weld is different. That area would be body color with a natural rubber plug before the change over. Jeff is saying late April so if you know the actual build date it would help a lot here.

My 69 convertible build date Nov 24, 1968 is body colour down to the pinch weld. This car still has some reminants of the inspection stickers over the colour.
My 70 coupe Sept 22 1969 build date is/was engine bay black above the pinch weld.

I have a question, are the wiper mechanism arms under the cowel body colour or some sort of paint or anodized? Sorry to tag onto your thread.

My 1970 are black.

The ones I’ve seen are natural finish. I painted the ones in my car with some silver hammer finish.

Thank you