69 hertz eliminator- may be time to sell

Hello all, been awhile since I have posted. I’m considering letting my car go after having it in my family’s over 20 years. It hardly see the light of day anymore. Not sure what these are worth these days. Would like to see it go to someone who knows and appreciates these cars. If you search my posts you can learn a lot about the cars history as well as pictures

Any suggestions on where to get started with figuring out a value and looking for a buyer?

3 Likes

Check out the Eliminator on the market that Michael Banks posts. That will give you a good idea of what they are going for. Where is the car located?

Following; would also like to know where the car is.

Wilson NY.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Car has been restored but probably been 15 years ago

1 Like

Hi, I’m new to this site because I have been looking for a 69 Mercury Cougar. I couple have been sold before I got to see them. Not sure how to look on your site for pics. Where are you located. I’m in South Jersey

OP said he’s located in Wilson, NY which is on Lake Ontario just east of Niagara Falls in western New York.

1 Like

This is my initial thought:
Runs and drives with no rust, $40K
Seats are perfect, everything works, (HVAC, radio, clock, lights & sequentials are good), shifts perfectly, no leaks, no smoke, $70K
Glass is perfect, door seals are perfect, headliner is perfect, underside is food-grade clean, engine bay is dressed, no non-OEM components on the engine, trunk is like new, $100K+
It would cost over $165K to get it that way.

This makes sense and is aligned with what I was thinking. Car is great mechanically, interior has been restored and is very nice. Glass is all good. Trim is all there but the rocker trim is worn. When it was restored the underside was painted and is clean and still looks great. I’d say the body paint still looks good but has chips in it , some pretty big. Still looks good but definitely has a few warts. Engine compartment is nice with some dress up components. Air conditioning is not connected. Moonroof works perfect.

Not a number 1 car, like I said older restoration. Nice driver that you could be proud of, someone could make it perfect but it is not perfect as it sits.

1 Like

Another yellow eliminator, similar condition, non-sunroof just sold for $35k. That was a pretty good deal, and went quickly. Yours should get a premium with the sunroof and Hertz history. The market’s soft at the moment, unless you find the right guy, or guys in a room bidding against each other.

Hello! Beautiful car! 351 Windsor automatic car?

While the Hertz Eliminators are rare, they seem to typically bring only a small amount more than a comparable non-Hertz car.

There’s currently a nice driver-quality unrestored bright yellow '69 Hertz Eliminator that’s been for sale for over a year at $65k.
A very nice driver-quality non-Hertz in bright yellow changed hands in just a few days at $35k.

Without seeing more pics of your car, if you want it to sell in a timely manner, I would price it in the high-40’s ~ say $48k, and expect it to sell for around $45k. However…

Your advertisement is the key to getting the car sold and getting more money for it. You want more people seeing your car, so list it in multiple places - do not only rely on a forum post or word of mouth!

• Use LOTS of pics and details in your listing! Everything you would want to know when buying a car is what your potential buyers are going to want to know too, so put it in the listing.
  • Be sure the car is clean and / or detailed inside and out when you are taking pictures! A clean engine bay gives the impression of a well-cared for car, which can add to sellability.
  • Post pics of all the main areas of the car: exterior from multiple angles, interior from multiple angles, engine bay, trunk area, and underside pics. Also include a picture of your Marti Report or other documentation.

IMO, with good pictures and advertising you could ask in the $55k area and deal from there.

So, create a high-profile listing in multiple places in order to draw in multiple interested buyers and get the most money for your car.

Good luck!

1 Like

Agree with Mike. He’s got a very realistic price. Condition is key. All of the Hertz vehicles had the 351 engine, and that does not command the high $$$.

Here are the last 3 BAT (Bring a Trailer) Eliminator auctions. If you list it here just set a Reserve price that you are comfortable with. Seller has $99 listing fee and if it sells the buyer pays 5% of final cost.

1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator 4-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $55,800 on December 10, 2023 (Lot #130,254) | Bring a Trailer

1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator 428 Cobra Jet Ram Air for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $68,500 on April 15, 2022 (Lot #70,649) | Bring a Trailer

1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator 428 Super Cobra Jet for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $99,500 on January 17, 2022 (Lot #63,677) | Bring a Trailer

Yep, thanks!