'69 hood trim sealer on acorn nuts

It looks like there was black sealer installed when the acorn nuts holding the hood trim were installed originally? Does anyone know what type of sealer was used? Was this sealer also used on the rear extentions and the deck lid mouldings as well? Any where else?

This stuff in all those locations:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-08578-Black-Strip-Calk/dp/B000PEZ1L4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3JR8HV2EXXSRZ&keywords=Auto%2B3m%2Brope%2Bsealer&qid=1648350698&sprefix=auto%2B3m%2Brope%2Bsealer%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-4&th=1

Strip caulk was referred to as “dumb dumb” in the Ford shop that I worked in the 60’s. Everyone had a pack in their toolbox. Universal fix for rattles, leaks and gaps. When I wanted to buy some a few years ago it took me awhile to find out it’s real name. Pretty handy stuff.

I have found the 3M Strip calk (WCCC sells it) to be invaluable in rebuilding my cat. It is so easy to work with and really does a good job. I just had to pull my new gas tank that I used this on under the lip. I could hardly get it to budge trying to pry it up! That is after removing the sheet metal screws.

Ford / Mercury used these in various sizes: Sealer Washers

1 Like

Very funny to hear someone else refer to strip caulk as “dumb-dumb”! I was introduced to it many years ago as a kid by a mechanic friend who explained it was so easy to use for fixing stuff that even a dumb-dumb could do it. Nearly as versatile as duct tape for problem solving!