'69 XR-7 SCJ / 4-speed at Mecum Glendale

Beautiful car! With a SERIOUS auction estimate! Holy cow! Doesn’t even have the smog on it… although it does come with original wheels and vintage tires.

Didn’t I hear somewhere that The Brother’s were trying to add more 4-speed Cougars to their collection? Might be a cool candidate.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0322-495700/1969-mercury-cougar-xr-7/

LOT S237 GLENDALE 2022 MAR 16-19
1969 MERCURY COUGAR XR-7
428 Cobra Jet, Rare Factory Sunroof

Engine: 428 CI
Trans: 4-Speed
Color: Medium Blue
Interior: Blue

ESTIMATE
$225,000 - $235,000

HIGHLIGHTS
Rotisserie restoration completed in 2012
Very rare factory power sunroof
R-code 428 Super Cobra Jet V-8 engine with Ram Air induction
Close ratio 4-speed manual transmission
Factory Drag Pack car
3.91 Traction-Lok differential with high performance axle ratio
Power steering
Power brakes with front discs
Medium Blue with Black vinyl top
Blue bucket seat interior with center console
Locking hood pins
Rear spoiler
Comfort Stream ventilation
Tinted glass
Upgraded Edlebrock staggered aluminum wheels with spinners
Included with a complete set of factory wheels with tires
Nitto radial tires
Elite Marti Report
Sold new at Morris Lincoln Mercury, Inc. in Canton, Ohio
Painted to match factory trunk lid included

The “one-of-one” description fits in more ways than one for this 1969 Cougar XR-7. As reported in its Elite Marti Report, the luxury muscle car’s production tally narrows down as one of 33 XR-7s with the 428 Super Cobra Jet engine and 4-speed transmission. Of those, it is the only one delivered in Medium Blue Metallic with a blue leather interior. On top of that, the Marti Report goes on to report that this 1969 Cougar is the only one ordered with the combination of XR-7, 428 SCJ, 4-speed and power Sun Roof options.

Already considered a luxury version of the Mustang, the Cougar gained even more comfort and convenience with the optional XR-7 package that included leather upholstery, map pockets, burled-walnut instrument panel appliques, courtesy lights, a passenger-side clock, visual check panel, door panels with pull handles and full instrumentation including a tachometer. From there, this 1969 Cougar is top-of-the-line Mercury performance, starting with the R-Code 428 with functional Ram-Air, as evidenced by the hood scoop, black hood stripe and hood pins. To that, the Drag Pack option adds 3.91 Traction-Lok gearing and upgrades the 335 HP 428 V-8 to a Super Cobra Jet with oil cooler and heavy-duty bottom end. With the close-ratio 4-speed transmission, the Competition Suspension supports the 9-inch rear axle with staggered shocks to dampen wheel-hop under hard acceleration.

Per the Marti Report and window sticker from ordering dealer Morris Lincoln-Mercury in Canton, Ohio, the hardtop is also factory equipped with power steering, power front disc brakes, Comfort Stream ventilation, Sports console and AM/8-track stereo radio. A rotisserie restoration completed in 2012 returned the Cougar to like-new condition, including a well-detailed undercarriage. At the same time, a rear spoiler and 17-inch custom Edelbrock wheels with spinners and Nitto radial tires were added. The original-styled steel wheels with era-correct Goodyear white-letter tires as well as an additional color-matched decklid come with the car.

I know this one.
https://youtu.be/EB8TypxBwAI

Super cool car. The XR-7 version of mine. Looks like it was built before the Eliminator package was introduced? I hope it brings all the money

That’s a lot of money but maybe the factory sunroof will push it that high??? An XR7 with that big block/top loader trans is pretty rare and it also appears to have the Sport Special option rockers. From the pictures it looks to be in great shape.
I do wish Mercury option the Bullet Rockers on all of the 1st four years… I had them on my 70 XR7 and they looked good

I worked on this one. The sunroof did not get installed correctly from the factory and wouldn’t work. I fixed it and it was working properly when completed. It is a beautiful car.

After it was completed it was featured in Legendary Cougar Magazine.

Wow that is a serious estimate indeed. I hope they get it. I have a 69 428 CJ convertible I the same color. I like that mine’s a convertible with AC, but SCJ, sunroof, and a 4 speed are extremely cool.

Hammered sold at $145,000 plus 10%.

$145k sounds more in line. Still pretty good $$$ for a very nice cat!
Sorry I missed it on the part of the auction I watched…

Does anyone know who owns this car …i suspect it will end up at BJ scottsdale 2023
https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0322-495370/1969-mercury-cougar-xr-7-convert

That car was discussed on another thread. It’s from the Brother’s collection and was featured on YouTube as well. It was restored by a member here on the forums.