'70 Ignition Switch Key Release - How to DIsable

Just changed out the original FMX to a Tremec T5. Removed the rod from the lower steering column to the FMX shift selection. Thought that would take care of the ignition key release. Went for a short drive and could not remove the ignition key. Reached into the engine compartment and moved the arm where the shift selector connected and was able to remove the key. Didn’t find any detail in the Ford Shop manual nor any videos that would show how and where to disconnect/disable this interlock. I’m getting ready to start disassembling the steering column but some guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Simply, wire the arm up. Ive had to do this a few cust Cats over time. Disassembly of the column has not been attempted by myself, nor do I recall any write up about this.
A wire upto the stud of the master cyl is where I recall running it.

I have done as Cougar_Bill did. I also have drilled a 1/16" hole in the outer tube and used a sheet metal screw as a set screw to hold it in place.

Thanks, I wasn’t looking forward to tearing apart the steering column, especially not really knowing what to do once I got in there.

You’ve got me really curious now as to why this wasn’t an issue for me. Is this an XR7 only thing?

No it’s a 70 thing across the board. Sometimes you just get lucky and have it in the right place and it never moves on you to be an issue.

Tks. I’m going to look anyway to see if a bit of wire is in order.

On my '70 XR7 the arm on the steering column releases the key in the down position. Apparently steering action raises it and it retains the key until I push it down. It didn’t do that when I just moved it up and down sitting in the garage but driving around does it. I’ll have to look for something to attach a wire to below it or disable some linkage up at the ignition switch. Meanwhile I carry a stick to reach down there when the engine is hot. Maybe it is just to stiff between the lever collar and the steering shaft.

Is there any way you could get a picture?

The arm is on the steering column in the engine compartment it used to have a rod from the FMX transmission shifter. For now there is nothing to do with it except perhaps wiring to something below it (not much there) to keep it down. It doesn’t happen every time. The approach I’d prefer is to change something in the steering column at/for the ignition switch. I was looking for some guidance before tearing blindly into it. Haven’t gotten any. Didn’t find anything in the Ford Shop Manual. Not sure if I’ll get brave and explore or not. For the moment I carry a wood stick to push the lever down.

Actually the 70 has to be restrained in the down position. I’ll have to find something below it.

Hmmm. I have a '70 Cyclone I am working on. On this car the transmission was supposed to be placed in reverse (4 speed manual) to remove the key, which means the rod pushed the lever on the steering column “up”. I bet the difference is in manual versus automatic transmission. In any case safety the column lever where the key can be removed.