'70 XR-7 door outer beltline weatherstrip screws

What type of screw holds the chrome XR-7 trim to the door? Can’t find any pics. Thanks

I know what you’re talking about / looking for. I looked for the screw ( 380922-S2 ) at AMK and no luck. I looked over the internet and it’s mentioned in one of the Mustang Forums as the screw used, so I know that’s the same number as what I found in the MPC Illustrations ( for both 1969 and 1970 “F” bodies ).

But it seems to be ‘unobtanium’ - the screw is not mentioned in West Coast Classic Cougar where they have the actual mouldings ( NOS, used and restored ). There’s nothing in eBay.
The closest I come to what I recall it to look like is from AMK:

The top screw is just standard ( fine ) threading and the bottom two are self-tapping. I just recall that the screw head was flat so as not to interfere with the window ( come in contact with the glass ).
Maybe someone else can add addtional information about this fastener ?

As I recall the bottom one is want I remember removing. But it has been a while.

If you are talking about the screws that get accessed through a slit in the weatherstrip, here is what was originally on my 70 XR7. I found a very close match at NAPA.

Post deleted

Those look like wheel opening molding screws. 1/8”

Wheel opening molding screws were similar, but those were chrome plated, shorter, and smaller diameter head. Pictured side by side.

Yes Calicat. Those are what I thought was used but couldn’t find any info as Gah was stating. Thanks.

Sure! Its kind of tricky to work the oval slit in the weatherstrip around the large head of the screw. But once the screw head is inside the weatherstrip, they tighten down nicely into the existing holes in the door and you don’t even know they are there.

When I first saw the screws that calicat had pictured ( from NAPA; 665-2421 ) they sure looked like the screws used in the taillight protector ‘boards’, which are Ford hardware # 380660-S. Sure enough they are the same ( #8 X 1/2" pan head self tapping ). So while we might not get the exact screw for the XR-7 stainless beltlline moulding, we at least know what to use for the taillight protectors ! Here they are @ AMK:

And if calicat is showing us the wheel well trim screws beside the larger head screws that he has used ( and which were a bit snug to get through the slit in the ‘fuzzy’ weatherstrip ) then maybe the wheel well moulding screw is a better ‘work-around’ ( besides they are plentiful / available ) for securing the XR-7 stainless moulding to the door ?

Interesting. The black NAPA 665-2421 screws were a duplicate of the original screws my car had for both the tailight protector boards and the screws in the weatherstrip that secure the stainless XR7 door top trim to the door. The only thing that might have been different on my originals was the black plating. My originals looked like they might have been phosphate and oil or something more grey in color.

Yes, the wheel lip molding screws would fit through the weatherstrip slit easier and be a good work-around. The chrome plating would show through the slit more than the black finish, but they also have the wax thread sealer to keep the hole through the door from rusting, and chrome plated stainless steel should also be a lot more corrosion resistant. Good suggestion from gah.