72 Q code question

So I have Owned two 1972 Q code cars . On both vehicles the air filter decal said 351–4 V , I have seen some decal reproductions 351-CJ . Does anyone know if there’s any reason for the use of different decals.

I’ve never owned one but my understanding is that there were two 1972 351 4V engines available. One is a (fifth digit in the VIN) Q code like you have that should have the air cleaner decal 351-4V. The other one has the fifth digit in the VIN as “R” and should have the 351CJ 4V air cleaner decal.

These decals have been available as reproductions since the 1970’s so a lot of times what you think is an old original is actually an old reproduction.

Not sure on your decal but the 72 R code was mustang only and was identified as the 351 HO
Jim

Could be, but according to WCCC there were. I do not think I have ever seen a '72 351-4V with the R code, but I have seen a '73.

351-4V CJ Decal

On the WCCC website, there were only Q and H code engines available on 1972 Mercury Cougars.
There was what was called a “CJ performance package” option. I believe that this is where the 351CJ air cleaner badge comes from. Non CJ performance package cars, probably would have gotten the 351-4V decal on the air cleaner assembly.
CJ performance package also would have received ‘sporty’ sounding mufflers.
I would surmise it also included suspension parts too.