94 Lincoln town car 4R70W transmission

That great information Superchicken89.And that’s why I want an AOD. What was your donor car?

The best donor, in my opinion, is an AOD from a 1989-1993 Thunderbird Super Coupe. It is the correct length, has the high rev governor, and has the “A” servo for overdrive. Any mid-size V8 AOD form 1989 thru 1993 would work. Older AOD’s are fine but the 89 on up has the better valvebody. A Mustang GT AOD is good also except they don’t have the “A” Overdrive servo. The longer version which you don’t want is found in trucks and Lincoln Town Cars. I believe the Mercury Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria (LTD) would be the shorter AOD version.

The AODs in both my 69 Cougars have been updated with many of the stronger 4R70W components. The AOD in my modified 69 XR-7 has had many upgrades to make it handle 550 HP. The one upgrade I would suggest is upgrading the direct clutch and overdrive band to the 2" version over the weak 1 1/2" stock version.

With all of this said, I would not install any AOD transmission into a car without rebuilding it first unless you know the condition of the transmission. The weakest point in a stock AOD is the 1 1/2" overdrive band. This is why Borg Werner upgraded the OD band and direct clutch assembly to the 2" version and included the “A” OD servo for better clamping force. AODs got a bad reputation as a weak transmission. With the proper upgrades the are very stout and can handle high levels of HP and torque.

Well it will be interesting into find these such car in my area. All junk yard here have crushed and got rid of anything under the year 2000. I’m sure theirs some in someone’s field somewhere. But those are the ones that won’t part with them.
Where did you buy your upgrades to the AOD transmissions?

If you use a '98-01 4R70W, it has all of the upgrades, and still has the mechanical speedo cable provision. Both AOD-E and 4R70W will require a controller, unless you use a manual valve body - and those never shift gently at all.

Neither the AOD-E nor 4R70W have any glaring issues, although like any automatic, improperly adjusted shift linkages can cause problems! The 4R70W is the newest and by far best update of the old FMX family.

Because it is such a strong transmission, modifications are not usually needed even for a modest performance build, which really offsets the cost of the computer controller - especially when you consider that to make an AOD handle over 300 horsepower would usually cost you about $2500!

I purchased the torque converters and valvebodies for my AODs from Lentech Automatics. https://lentechautomatics.com/products/ I also purchased a valvebody from SilverFox Performance Transmissions. http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/index.html I can no longer find the link to the Forum where they listed all the updates to perform to the AOD to make it strong enough to hold up to 1000+ HP. Lentech pioneered the electronic overdrive lock out for the AOD and holds a patent on it. Dan at SilverFox also offers the valvebody with the overdrive lock out also but I prefer the Lentech version. I would also recommend the non-direct drive torque converter. Many AOD torque converter manufacturers offer a non-direct drive version at a reasonable price. You will sacrifice about 1 MPG with the non-direct drive converter but the shift to overdrive is much nicer without it.

The 4R70W is a great transmission but you will need a controller if you go that route as previously stated. The AOD is a great transmission with a few of the 4R70W updates like the mechanical diode, 2" overdrive/direct drum and band, A+ overdrive servo. For the AOD in my resto-mod 69 XR-7 with a 392W stroker motor, I went with all the upgrades without the 1 piece input shaft. It was built to handle 550HP. The AOD in my 69 351W Eliminator just has the 2" overdrive band and drum, one way clutch, A+ overdrive servo, Lentech Street Terminator calibration 1 valvebody, and 12" non-direct drive torque converter.

Keep an eye on Craigs List and Facebook Market place for AOD transmissions. They turn up frequently. I happen to own a heavily modified 89 Thunderbird Super Coupe with a modified AOD. Check the Super Coupe Club of America Facebook Group and Super Coupe Club of America forum for people parting out a 89-93 Thunderbird Super Coupe with an AOD https://www.sccoa.com/forums/forums/parts-for-sale.41/.

1 Like

I searched for that car up here in Canada. Nothing!
I did find a 1990 Crown Victoria with a 302. The label on the door says the transmission code is TCMCC. Do you know want that means? And is this the one for me?
Where would I get the upgraded parts for the transmission. Like the 2“ bands?

What transmission bracket did you use and where did you get it from?

For AOD and 4R70W, you can buy a specific ‘conversion bracket’, but it’s also the same bracket used in T5 swaps. Or modify your existing bracket. It just needs holes that sit back a little farther than the original. If you know how to weld this should not be a super hard fix.

I read a post off google and a fellow said if your swopping out a FMX to a AOD. I can use my stock flex plate, shifter , cooler lines and transmission mount. (Some grinding to make fit). But that was for a 72 mustang. Mustang and Cougars are all the same except for the sheet metal no?

The rear axle, rear springs, drive shaft length, all different on Cougar. From the transmission forward - other than the sheet metal - the Cougar and Mustang are pretty much the same car if the engine / transmission are the same.

The Aod transmission is only 3/8” longer then a FMX. I should get away from shorting my driveshaft
What do you mean the rear axle and leafs r different. Different as in their location?

If your Cougar was equipped with a FMX, then you can utilize the existing flex plate. You will need an AOD torque converter which bolts right up to the FMX flex plate. You can use the stock shifter and one cooler line. The other cooler line will need to be shortened because the location of the fitting on the FMX is located more towards the trans tail shaft whereas the AOD trans cooler fittings are located next to each other on the side of the transmission. As I mentioned earlier, you will need to ether modify the stock shift selector on the AOD or purchase the Lokar Shift Selector. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-ata-1001

Here a few pictures of the modified FMX transmission mount to fit the larger AOD transmission pan and comparison pictures of the FMX and AOD.

No need to worry about the rear axle and springs. Royce was just stating the leaf springs on the Cougar are longer than a Mustang’s leaf springs.

Great info
I take it the cleaned up one I is the modified cross member. Who ever modified it did a great job. Do you have measurements I can get off you?So I won’t have to shorten the drive shaft?
I am going today to pull out the AOD transmission out of the car. Still don’t k ow if it is an AOD. According to everything I’ve read that is what is supposed to be in that car. Like I said I tried looking up the transmission code from the door label and could not find a thing. TCMCC is the code. If anyone know what that means I’d appreciate it.
As for now I will count the bolts and also look at the shape of the transmission pan to confirm it is the correct transmission

Pulled out the transmission today! Woo hoo! One step closer. Ordered the shift lever and tv cable plus the bracket and springs for the carburetor

Yes the clean narrowed mount is the modified one. I modified the mount. Unfortunately I don’t have any measurements for the modified mount. Thank you for the complement. I take pride in my work. Do it right or don’t do it at all.
The AOD out of the Crown Vic should be the correct length. There are two different length AOD’s. Most passenger cars will have the shorter one. Trucks and possibly the Lincoln Town Car will have the longer version. No need to shorten the driveshaft with the shorter version of the AOD.
Good luck. It’s a fun modification.

Yes
I am excited. Sorry for all the questions and probably repeat questions. I just want all my ducks in a row and to go together without a hitch.
My wife calls the car Kristine as she fights me all the way when I modify her. :weary:
When I receive my Lokar cable will it come with the adjustment tool? And if not where do I purchase it?
Oh and one more question. Do I use the rubber mount that came with it. A buddy of mine gave me 2 aftermarket rubber mounts. One more stiffer then the other

The last Lokar TV(Kickdown) cable I purchased came with the adjusting tool. Personally I don’t think you don’t need the tool. The throttle valve adjustment is critical to the AOD and if it isn’t adjusted correctly can wipe out the transmission in as little as a few miles. If the TV cable doesn’t start to apply pressure to the throttle valve as the gas peddle is moved, the transmission can be ruined. I set the TV cable so there is absolutely no slack at idle. It really isn’t rocket science setting the TV cable. The TV just has to build pressure as the gas peddle is pushed down. If the TV doesn’t build pressure, the clutches will be ruined. Think of it as constantly riding the clutch in a manual transmission car which would burn the clutch up.

By rubber mount, do you mean the transmission isolator to cross member? If so, just use the one from your FMX transmission.

The AOD is the little brother to the FMX transmission. The FMX and AOD are both Borg Warner transmissions and they actually share the same planetary gear set.

Good luck and don’t be afraid to ask any questions.

Thank you for the advice and I’m sure I will