A/C Vent Register Felt

I am looking for a good substitute for the felt band on the vent orb in the A/C Vent Registers. Mine were entirely disinigrated. Could not discern width or thickness. Any material and sizing information would be awesome. This is for my 1969 XR7.

Buy a roll of self stick Velcro and use the “fuzzy” (loop) side. Useful in a lot of places.

You can also find sheets of self-adhesive felt at stores like Hobby Lobby.

Any idea what the width should be? I am assuming under 1/2".

I bought a heavy black felt. Cutting it into strips that fit the housings.

There is one per side

I drilled 2 if the pins out to separate the 2 halves.

Spray glue on strips & install.

Once done, attach pieces & glue w/ epoxy or panel bond.

Now that make sense. Thank you Bill. Are the clips that hold the vent tubes the same as the clip on the center AC register rectangler tube?

no sadly. They are a 2 piece black plastic retainer. One part goes into the round hole (one per side), followed by a locking pin that goes into the center of the 1st piece. Lot of these got destroyed during removal. Try a plastic push retainer for w/x or??

Bill, you wouldn’t happen to have a photo of the two piece clip? There was quite a few different clips and screws under the carpet - I might still have them!

I swear, I think the guys in the factory tossed all the nuts, bolts & screws for the interior on the floor, and if they hadn’t used them all by the time it came to carpet, they just left them there. i found a strange array of stuff stuck to the underlayment of mine. Yes they came in handy replacing the missing & broken stuff in the re-assembly of the interior.

Exactly how my car was too! Most of the missing interior hardware was found embedded into the underlayment under the rear carpet. There was even an extra door hinge plate under there.