A snapped bolt... oh no...

So… my son and I decided to try and get the heater working. First thing we were told to do was to replace the thermostat.
A simple enough thing that we (amateurs) could do for only $5.99.

Unfortunately, it didn’t work out that way.
One of the two bolts we had to take off to get to the thermostat SNAPPED.

We tried everything. Reverse screw sets. Drilling. Bolt loosening sprays.
Nothing worked.

In desperation, we called a friend who had a friend who was a mechanic. He came over and tried for an hour to drill the bolt out.
No luck.

“You know”, he said, "it’s easier to replace the intake manifold.

Oh. Okay. Let’s try that.

Now here’s the thing. For Christmas… I got (or really Esmerelda got) new Valve covers.

So we had fun putting those on the day after Christmas… and I guess we got comfortable working on her enough to try the thermostat.
Now we’re in over our heads.

Fortunately we got the intake manifold in the next day and my buddy and his friend went to work (with my son and I watching and learning).

We had to scrape off the old gasket and clean out the antifreeze

Ready for the new gasket

New gasket in

We had to remove the distributor to get the new manifold in

The bolts were then TOO short (2 inch) and we needed 2 1/4 inch bolts. But the auto store didn’t have any. Nor did Home Depot.
So we bought 2 1/2 inch bolts and added washers for now.

Then… since we were putting in a new intake… we added a 4 barrel carburetor

By now, it was 11pm and we were finding that the boxes did NOT include many things like couplers and throttle return springs.
So now she sits waiting for the last bits to come in.

I’m hoping by the end of the day we’ll have her up and running again.

I’m told she’ll have a few more horsepower when it’s all done too.

Our $5.99 project suddenly became a $599 project overnight… ack.

And at the end of the day… my buddy looks at the old thermostat and says “This looks like it works just fine”

Sigh

That’s how it always starts!

It’s not a project unless you get a new tool out of the job…

Heat the manifold with a torch and you might be able to back that bolt out.

I’ve broken that bolt many times. I normally drill it out with a 1/8" drill followed by 7/32" followed by 1/4" then tap the hole 5/16" - 18.

Thanks all. I thought you’d share my misery/experience here.

As I’ve already got the new intake in… I’ve got the old one (with broken bolt still inside) off to the side in the garage.
I’m trying to keep all the original parts as we change them… just in case.

Been there done that too, luckily I was able to soak mine in pb blaster and use a reverse drill bit to back mine out. With that being said, although your project took a huge leap in price, the experience for you and your son can’t have a price tag to it. And good move keeping the originals. Enjoy the ups and downs (at the end of the day lol ) cause now when you pop the hood you can say, yea we did that :smoke:

Now you need headers to complement the increased airflow from your new carb and manifold!

For real? Like will this be a problem?
Or would new headers be advised to compliment the new carburetor?

She’s done!

Compliment, not required. A duel exhaust at the least.

Shoot, why not do a cam swap and timing chain while in that far? THEN add the headers and you’d have the full package.

Ah yes, you’ve experienced your first taste of ‘scope creep.’ It went something like this for me…

-Who put ‘helper’ shocks in the back of this car? They’ll crack the floor! (add bilstiens to cart)
-Huh, I can see why they put those shocks back there… (add new leafs to cart)
-Might as well change out the shackles while I’m there… And I’ve heard those Mike Maier panhard bars are great! (add shackles and panhard to cart)
-Wow, my rear suspension is SHARP! And my front suspension is NOT. (add Mike Maier coilovers to cart)
-Well, my PS ram is leaking, and if I’m going to need an alignment anyway I might as well upgrade the PS. (add Mike’s PS setup to cart)
-Huh, looks like my z-bar interferes with my new steering box. (add Opentracker’s reinforced roller z-bar kit to cart)

And just like that, you’re several paychecks (and many, many hours) into wondering why your Cougar sits so high in the rear.

But hey, it’s more fun that way; best of luck on your upgrades!

F23

Ha ha
Yup. That sounds about right.
:slight_smile:

It’s looking terrific Scott!

I’m extremely limited mechanical-wise - I found being president of the local Mercury Cougar club and serving free food and drink is beneficial when I need help with my car.

• Phillip

ow with all that extra power (ahem) the transmission will break, then that will get fixed then the rear end will break, you see where I’m going with this…

Then when it catches fire, you get to save up and let life kick you in the shins for 15 years or so before you get around to fixing everything all over again.

grin

Free art is good too…right?

^^^ I try!

• Phillip

Wow that is a spotlessly clean engine-showoff! :slight_smile: