A Spectacular Morning

It’s a Spectacular Morning Y’all. The Sun rising in the East with a visible Full Moon still present in the West as we near tomorrow’s December 21, Winter Solstice. Simply amazing.

It’s a little chilly where I am but every day is a gift.

Nice day here as well! Partly cloudy but nice and bright out, with no rain. This time of year that’s as good as it gets. Might take the Cougar out for one more quick drive before getting started on some projects :slight_smile:

Really nice weather here too, which means roads have still not been salted. Nice to still have the Cougar on the road - even if the top is up!

Today is indeed the Winter Solstice ( translated literally as ‘sun stands still’ ) - so from now on the sun will begin to rise in the East but slightly further to the north each morning, and it will set in the west but slightly further North each evening, giving us longer days. But this effect really won’t be that noticeable until February - hence the sun appears to stand still for a period of time. When we get to the Spring / Vernal Equinox ( literally ‘equal night’ ) that point at which the hours of night and day(light) are equal at all latitudes in the world, the rate of increase in the daylight hours becomes quite dramatic ( esp. the farther North you are located ) and the sun rises and sets exactly due East and West on approximately March 20th. The increase in daylight continues until we reach the Summer Solstice ( approx. June 21st ), the longest day of the year ( and the sun rising at its furthest point in the North East and setting at its furthest point in the North West ), and the 'cycle; begins again, through the Fall / Autumnal Equinox ( ~Sept. 23rd ).
Of course if you live south of the Equator, all of this is ‘reversed’ except of course where the Sun rises and sets !

Ain’t that the truth - 90F and 46% humidity

Very true indeed, Al :thumbup:

Well written Gord and very informational :thumbup:
My Wife & I actually chose June 21st as our Wedding day because of it’s significance… a new Season, coupled with the longest daylight of the year.

9pm last night was also the 21st hour of the 21st day of the month, in the 21st year of the 21st millennium.

Yes Gary I personally know of many June weddings, and the choice is obvious - warm weather ( not as hot as July or August ), everything in full bloom ( bride included ! ), excellent light for images including perfect sunset photos, after dinner gatherings, and the longest day of the year so the partying can continue late into the evening !
Interesting numerology, Craig !
9 p.m. = 21st hour of the 21st day of the month, in the 21st year of the second millennium !

Good catch! 21st hour of 21st day of the month in the 21st year of the 21st century - not millennium.