AC De-Icing switch stuck open?

Charged my AC system but not getting power to compressor. I have voltage thru the mode switch to the de-icing switch. I jumped the leads at the de-icing switch and there is power to the compressor. It is my understanding that the switch stays open until it detects icing on the probe and then closes. I am wondering if it is possible for the switch to be stuck open? Is it possible to clean the contacts?

Is it possible I have the leads reversed?

I have no idea when the AC last worked.

This is the original AC system on a 69 XR7.

Sounds like the de-icing switch has failed open. Doesn’t matter which lead goes to which terminal since its either open or closed. Never tried to open one up, but a repro is available:

Switch - A/C Thermostat Control - Repro ~ 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar / 1967 - 1973 Ford Mustang ( 1967 Mercury Cougar, 1968 Mercury Cougar, 1969 Mercury Cougar, 1970 Mercury Cougar, 1971 Mercury Cougar, 1972 Mercury Cougar, 1973 Mercury Cougar, 1967 Ford Mustang, 1968 Ford Mustang, 1969 Ford Mustang, 1970 Ford Mustang, 1971 Ford Mustang, 1972 Ford Mustang, 1973 Ford Mustang ) at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source

1 Like