Actual mileage on my 1969 Cat

I saw somewhere that if the 4th number is not in line with the rest of the numbers that the mileage is over 100000 is this correct? My odometer reads 37323 but the 2 is not in line with the rest. It sits a little lower.

If that’s the case, I wonder if ours has rolled over twice? Our last 3 digits are not inline with the others.

That was my thought exactly. Rolled over twice. No way to verify it.

Anybody else have thoughts/ideas on odometer rollovers? Anyone else want to share pics of their odometer?

My interior was original when bought in Dec 2021, with a rough driver seat, but everything else was fairly well preserved. If your theory is right, she has over 400K miles, which I don’t see in the patina around the engine bay, suspension and undercarriage. My guess is variance in plastic gears, wear and time.

I do think it is an interesting concept/idea/guess that the positioning of the odometer numbers could possibly tell how many times the odo has rolled over.

In my 25 years of reading various forums on Ford cars, this is the first I’ve heard of this. Certainly, used car dealers from that time period would know if this is true or not.

This is the original mileage on my 70, and the numbers are a bit uneven. I’m betting it’s caused by a sticky mechanism after 50+ years of dust accumulation.

I was able to figure out my actual from maintenance records. 269000. And the numbere were not even across.