Air conditioner box

The A/C box in my 68 with factory air decided to fail and concentrate our famous Houston heat and humidity right on my leg. After getting replacement seals and a used door, the shop now tells me that the box is about 80% in reasonable shape with the rest needing either replacement / refurbishment / recreation. As it turns out, the replacement door was in worse shape than the original. I’m ordering a new vacuum switch and trying to identify what looks like a solenoid that’s next to it.

What solutions have you been successful with and do you know what the solenoid-like part is?

Thanks.

Brad

Maybe it’s the icing switch? Post a photo.

Sometimes pictures and parts descriptions help in identifying components. I often use the WCCC site for these
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=C8W%20Air%20Conditioning%20box

Thanks Tom and Royce. 1) I won’t have a chance to look at the car until Monday but we did check the WCCC picture of a complete assembly and didn’t see what the tech mentioned. I have a message in to Darryl at WCCC for his comments. 2) What is an icing switch?

It’s it a de-icing switch. scroll down https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/a-c-de-icing-switch-aka-thermostat-control-removal-install/7838/3

Thanks. The problem occurred without the A/C being on - should the de-icing switch even be engaged in that case?

This is what you said which means the A/C was on. quote, The A/C box in my 68 with factory air decided to fail and concentrate our famous Houston heat and humidity right on my leg.

If the de-ice switch failed in the open position, then that kills the circuit to the compressor. Not saying that this is your problem, but might need to check for open circuit.

The de-icing switch only affects the A/C compressor operation. It shuts it down when the evaporator coil is too cold and icing (freezing the condensate). The only thing close to the Vacuum switch is one of four vacuum actuators.
What function is not working? There are several actuators, switches, and a resistor bank in the heating.cooling system.

Thanks Tom. Neither rhe A/C or fan were on, it’s just that the ventilation door wouldn’t close and was allowing hot air in. It’s always had slack in the hot/cold lever such that it won’t go fully up to the cold setting. Darrell at WCCC is looking at the pictures of the parts out of the car but (perhaps unsurprisingly) suggests a new box rather than trying to refurbish the 50+ year old original.