Almost done restoring my first car

On May 20, 1970 my Cougar was bucked. It fell off the transport truck a week later while being delivered to the dealer. The dealer fixed it, put it on the showroom floor and I bought it. (The dealer was my next door neighbor, I was best man at his son’s wedding, but they forgot to tell me about the repairs to my new car.)
Fast forward 46 years, I retired and began the restoration I always said I’d do. Only then did I discover the covered up repairs. I’ve been restoring for 6 years and I’m almost done.
The first photo is stripped back to the buck 4 years ago and the second photo is last week.

1 Like

how bad were the repairs and original damage? Sorta a neat story even though its not neat that it happened…

RH rear wheel of the car came off transporter ramp. Major damage to RH quarter panel, knocked out quarter window, badly dented RH door and fender. They skinned everything and smothered it with bondo. Funny thing is, I remember hearing the story at the dealership about a car that was damaged in unloading - but I didn’t know it was mine.

oh wow. and nothing showed any signs of repair for over 40 years… hate to tell you this, but they fixed it good if it was undetectable for that many years… no cracking or separating of the filler or anything. Gotta give em credit for that.

Great car! Do you have the Marti?

thanks. yes I have the Marti and the original DMV registration.