Almost engine install time - what should I leave off for transmission first type install?

It’s getting pretty close to the time when I can install the big blue thing in my G. I am going to install it using Royce’s method. The transmission is already hung in place, with the tail just sitting on its rear bracket.

Not pictured, I already installed the engine mount frame brackets.

Besides having the valve covers and engine mount brackets installed, the engine looks like this today:

I know that I am better off with the RH exhaust manifold left off for the install, but what about the motor mounts? Both off, just the right one off? Both on?
What other things should I not have or should have installed to make my life easier?

Be sure you get the torque converter fully seated. I did not have the oil filter adaptor on mine when I out the engine and transmission in last weekend, (428 and C6). I’d put the exhaust manifold on when your still above the transmission as you need room to tighten the bolts. Keep the motor mounts on the engine. They are hard to get to when the engine is close to in place.

Cover the shock towers with blankets or heavy towls to protect the paint.

I’m sure Royce will chime in with some of his pointers. He is good at putting FEs in to Cougars,

I leave the sway bar off and both motor mounts off when installing the motor.

I can imagine that leaving the motor mounts off gives you more maneuverability to align the engine to transmission. What about the RH exhaust manifold? I’ve read in a few of your project posts where you are leaving them off as they get in the way. The only thing I could imagine it gets in the way off is the starter. Or is it maybe maneuverability of the engine?

I would have been better off installing the right exhaust manifold after clearing the shock towers but never occurred to me. X2 on the blankets (that worked very well for me) and also suggest a spotter for an extra set of hands (you’ll be thankful in the end - hard to tilt, push and spin all at the same time).

The RH manifold interferes with the transmission so it needs to be left off.