Animated avatars

I have an animated avatar but when I upload it, it’s not animated.
What am I doing wrong.
Thanks

What is the file extension of your avatar?

gif

Here are a couple of things to check:

• If you downloaded the avatar, is it still animated when you open it locally; i.e., on your PC? The file may have been damaged during the download or by your antivirus software.
  • Did you resize it before you uploaded it to the Forum? If so, resizing it may have made it a static GIF.

If that doesn’t help, you can PM me the link where you downloaded the animated avatar and I’ll see if I can figure out what went wrong.

The original works on my PC.
But I did have to resize, and I just checked and the resized one doesn’t work on my PC either.
Anyway to make the resized one work.

You need to use a program that can scale an animated GIF. Most simple image scaling tools will only destroy the animation and save the top image (an animation has multiple layers). That sounds like what happened to your avatar.

I’m guessing you don’t have Photoshop, Adobe Fireworks, or the like, which can do it. I Googled, and there are some web-based animated GIF resizers like this one, or you could download Gif Resizer. If you want to go for the brass ring, there’s GIMP, an open-source Photoshop alternative, and follow the tutorial here to resize your GIF.

I can’t vouch for any of those alternatives other than GIMP, which I do use.

If you don’t want to wade into it yourself, I’ll be glad to give it a shot for you.

Cool!!! That worked slicker than sh!t.
I learned something new today.
THANKS!!!

You’re welcome. The avatar is great!

The result was really worth following this one

cool

Jean

I’m waiting for someone to take a series of photos of their Cougar from the time they bought it to final restoration and animate that. I think that would make an awesome avatar. Of course, the photos would have to be taken from very near exactly the same distance and angle…but it’s only a matter of time.