Anti theft devices

I have to park the Cougar out on the street. I would like to add some level of theft deterrent, without getting too crazy. So maybe a steering wheel lock and/or a kill switch? Any recommendations? Thx

Steering wheel lock will be a visible deterrant. You may also want to look into some sort of hood lock.

You may also consider placing air tags on the car, so you can track it if it wanders away. Or go with LoJack.

On 67 /68., just slightly bending up the license plate handle will require you to open the trunk to get to the gas cap

If it’s a manual trans, that should rule out most thieves under 35!

3 Likes

^^^^^^ Now that’s funny … :rofl:

Deterrent is one thing recovery is another. Check into something like this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicles-Tracker-Waterproof-Tracking-Motorcycle/dp/B01N6H70C9/ref=asc_df_B01N6H70C9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312070219883&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16136697514455001708&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011888&hvtargid=pla-557348975701&psc=1&mcid=649439e965e43ec1b40be5a4c7fdd6a8&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=62161444935&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312070219883&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16136697514455001708&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011888&hvtargid=pla-557348975701&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_97Au7vbgwMVs4ZaBR3NawISEAQYAiABEgLr7fD_BwE

Pretty much all the purported anti-theft devices are useless garbage. If you are trying to prevent someone starting the car and driving it away, install a hood lock, take out the distributor rotor, and keep the hood locked while parked.

Many classic cars are stolen by being towed away. Not much you can do about that if you’re parking on the street except have good neighbors.

The best solution is to install a hidden device with gps/cellular tracking that will allow you to quickly recover the car if stolen. Make sure it has power independent of the battery in case thieves disconnect battery cables.

If you want to know how I know, I have 26 years in law enforcement. Don’t waste your money on a “club” or any other similar trash.

Get some kind of blocking.

Jack up the car.

Put blocking underneath. Add shims so tires are a 1/2 inch of the ground

Lower Jack.

Or

Get neighbors to park almost bumper to bumper to your car.

Old repo trick. They would pour oil and squirt oil around the tires then push your car out of your paralleled parking spot. Way back in the day.

Guess I neglected to say I do drive the car a fair bit. Jacking it up and putting it on blocks would be an issue.

You can wire a toggle switch to the “start wire” on the solenoid switch. Put it under the dash somewhere out of view. When you want to drive the car, turn the switch on, when parked, turn it off. Anyone stealing car will need to be under the hood. Or it can be wired to the coil wire, or both. That way if the do jump the solenoid it will just wind over. Hopefully enough to draw attention. You can always use a switch on the dash thats not being used if any, like rear defog or something

For something you drive often a kill switch is your best bet. Make sure you wire it in such a way that it appears factory under the hood and install the switch in a hidden area but somewhat easy to reach. The point is for you to know its there but not a suspecting thief.

Also add a way to lock the hood so its not easy to access to get under to bypass stuff.

gps trackers are getting pretty cheap. Someone mentioned an apple air tag. Those are cheap and work pretty good alone with being easy to hide.

How far away can you track an air tag?

Read the specs on the air tag…I’d recommend something like the amazon link I posted prior or similar so you can track it The TKSTAR unit even has an alert sensitive if someone sits in the car goes right to your smart phone I’m going with the below unit

Is that unit about $30? Then a monthly charge? Does it need to be on the cars electrical system, or is that just an option? Thx

Yes and Yes . It has a battery and a usb cable to charge it, or you can hardwire it with the additional adapter below

My neighbor has the best anti-theft device I’ve seen: he has a Toyota Prius.

3 Likes

Power a Pertronix Ignitor using a relay. Add a switch in the ground side of the relay. Even if they attempt to hot wire it it won’t start.

Pull the parking brake and drill a hole through the shaft. Put a clevis pin through it and it won’t release. It can stop a roll away theft.

2 Likes

Hmmmmmm… wonder where I heard that from before? I love my 67 Cougar GT Larry

If you have a manual transmission you can add a switch to the manual transmission shorting plug which is located in the engine bay on the fire wall. I have an XR-7 and used the spare switch on the courtesy lights panel.

tempsnip

1 Like