Any recent products for 67 burl wood applique?

My 67 XR7 has been getting sheet metal work done for the last couple of years. I went and picked up some pieces that have been removed, to get the work done. Anyway, my wood grain looks more like poo grain in color. I remember there was an Eliminator camera case product for while, but that was discontinued. Is there anything new for the wood grain? Or still just try and stain it back to color?

Camera case extremely difficult to find. I dyed my woodgrain and removed the black from the rings and matte cleared them

1 Like

I have seen the woodgrain panels smoothed out and painted matte silver. That looks pretty good. A subtle carbon fiber pattern would probably look nice as well.

I’m not opposed to custom work, but in this case, I want to keep the factory look. It is a one of two by color combo, so I want it to look like it’s supposed to.

1 Like

Recently watched Wheeler Dealers and they had a dash from a old Austin restored by water transfer (also called hydro dipping) and it turned out really nice and wasn’t to expensive. The show was from season 18 episode 3 “Austin Allegro Vanden Plas”.

You could buy the basic appliqué from wccc and redo it I think.

If that was available, it would be a decent option. Unfortunately, it isn’t.

This is the kind of thing I was looking for, but as noticed, it isn’t available- I wonder if John’s or anybody has something? I’ll have to keep looking. I don’t need it tomorrow, it’s just something I need to resolve.

I just had the hydro paint done on all my dash parts. Looks great but kind of expensive.

Have you got a picture?

Sorry it took so long. Here is pic. You will notice that the wood grain is consistent through out the panel.

1 Like

Wow, that does look really good!! Did you have that done locally or did you ship it out?

It was semi-local. About an hour away from the West Palm Beach area. Kiddies classics.

Here’s a link to what the process looks like: 15 seconds long

And a link to the product. There are a few burl options- this looks closest to the standard grain.
https://www.amazon.com/Hydrographic-Dipping-Transfer-Printing-Decoration/dp/B08KYLFM7Z/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=hydro+dip+film+walnut+wood+grain&qid=1706462335&sr=8-9

I found them on the internet, I don’t see that specific service listed. I will have to email them. When you say kind of expensive, is that more than three or four hundred? I will see if there is anyone in Denver that offers this service-

These guys, right?

Has anyone used a product from these guys? 3M is a good brand name, maybe there is an option here…

I used it on my XR7-G consule.

How has it held up? Got any pictures? I guess I need to do start another thread on how to restore the rest of the instrument panel and chrome…

It has held up well.