Article on Hagerty Vehicle Ratings 2016

I just saw this today and thought I’d pass this on to the community and get other opinions in regards to our beloved Cougar. I’m wondering if their opinion on values and interest is more aligned with the more rare and high dollar Cougars or all cars in general. Seems to me interest in Cougars is increasing with the anniversary approaching and companies like NPD getting involved.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2016/12/07/biggest-losers-of-2016

I would say the view is consistent with my observation of auction activity in 2016 but I’d also say it’s happening to more than just Cougars. I’ve seen some real softness in Mustang prices and certain GTO’s that were approaching 6 figures 2-3 years ago have dropped off considerably.

In general, Cougar prices have been flat and lagged behind the Mustang from the start.

There have been some records (for Cougars) set among the upper tier Cougars within the past few years, Cobra Jet Eliminators, GT-Es, etc.

• Phillip

And publications such as this sure won’t increase their values?

Guess I shouldn’t have reported to the press that I bought an Eliminator for 600 bucks.

Whaaaattt??? Alright Mark, tell me the rest of the story :slight_smile:

I’m by no means an expert but have spent many hours of my time on CL, Ebay etc. looking at and for Cougars over the last 16 years or so and haven’t noticed a very big increase in the prices of base and XR 7 Cougars if any. I’m not a heavy hitter when it comes to these cars so can’t comment on the higher priced ones but the majority of cars have remained in my price range. I’ve always liked Cougars because they weren’t as popular as other cars such as Mustangs and Camaros and have only ventured outside of my preferred Cougar bailiwick a few times with less than stellar results. Perhaps when people realize there are far fewer 67 Cougar GT’s than 67 Mustang GT’s left alive their prices will start to climb. Until then i’m glad to scour the interweb for good deals on Cougars.

Not enough data available to make the kind of statement they are making. They only GT-E with 428 CJ that has sold lately is not even in the data set.

I think they are tracking/gathering data just from the insurance policies that are with them. A market indicator, but not telling to whole story. My view the specialty Cougars like the black Boss 302 Eliminator sold this year for over $248,000 are still on the rise. The second tier Cougars like 428CJ convertibles are holding steady and maybe rising slightly. The base Cougars aren’t changing much the last few years. Values lately go along with supply and demand. Just an increased spread between them.

Perhaps they had some large Cougar claims and figured this would help limit values. They are, after all, an insurer… just sayin

Remember/consider that rarity isn’t the driving force generally in raising values it’s popularity. When you get a popular car and a rare model (or even a hyped one) that really sets those values apart generally.

Rarity alone has rarely ever equaled high value. If it did values of Levi Pacer would be through the roof :slight_smile:

I also feel like the demise of Mercury has hurt the Cougar a little bit and the Cougar still suffers from an overall lack of understanding from the general car enthusiast crowd.

Just imagine if Mercury was introducing for 2017 a brand new, beautifully designed retro 50th Anniversary Cougar and if Dan Gurney was in every car magazine and on Barrett Jackson hawking his new AAR XR7-G version and suing the CCOA and everyone selling repopped G hood scoops.

• Phillip

Hagerty is basing value on requests for quote. The one Cougar GT-E that sold at Barrett Jackson several years ago would have affected average values considerably that year. If the guy requested a quote from Hagerty.

Hagerty quotes a 1970 XR-7 convertible 341 4V in condition #3 at $24,300 and a #2 at $34,300. Old Cars Report Price guide for Nov/Dec 2016 has #3 condition at $13,600 and #2 condition at $21,000. What Hagerty is saying is they are not seeing many sales, That doesn’t surprise me much. I have not been getting copy’s of OPRG and just started getting them again. But through out the condition ranges Hagerty has a higher value then OPRG for the 1970 Cougar XR-7 Convertible.
Note; OPRG states a 120% add for a 1968 GTE and a 40% add for a XR7-G

What a joke!

How many of you would buy a #1 1970 XR-7 428 CJ 4 speed w/ air for $20,000?

This guide has no credibility.

Until I sent 3 e-mails asking them to show these cars they didn’t even show a 70 HT XR-7 w/ 428 option…

Makes me wonder if “Agreed value” is even true!

The $20K value is for a #3 car. I do think it may be low.

VALUES FOR
1970 Mercury Cougar XR-7
2dr Hardtop Coupe 8-cyl. 428cid/335hp 4bbl Cobra Jet
#1 Concours $36,900
#2 Excellent $28,700
#3 Good $20,400
#4 Fair $14,500

Per OPRG a #3 1970 XR-7 hard top with a 428CJ would be $18,680.I think the value is low due to no reported sales of this sort of Cougar. OPRG states a 351 powered XR-7 hard top in #3 condition is valued at $10,580.(no add for 351 4V given but would pull at least 10% more IMHO) A number 3 car is described as a very good: Completely operable original or older restoration showing wear. Also a good amateur restoration all presentable and serviceable inside and out. In short a car that looks good at 20 feet.

Guess I didn’t hit the right “condition” button OOps!

Still stupidly low IMHO!!

My guess is that more Cougars are being insured, and the majority of them are not high end cars. The values placed on these might be pulling the average down. I have insured my '68 XR-7G 390 4 speed sunroof car for $20K. That is based on the condition of the car as it sits right now, in need of a total restore with plenty of rust to be repaired. Done, it will certainly carry a bigger policy.

There have been two Cougar sales in the past year of over $200K. That should be moving ghe needle in the right direction, but it seems that they both went under the radar.

When I started this thread it reminded me of another article from earlier this year from R/T online:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/g6712/cheap-classic-cars/?slide=10
From a personal observation in the western and southern suburbs of Chicago, when I started attending cruises and shows I was usually the only Cougar. But the last couple of years I am seeing many more local Cougars whose owners have told me they either just bought the car or had it for years but only recently got it back on the road. None are the high dollar cars.

Looks like Hagerty’s forecast on the Cougar has become more positive -

From their website:

The Mustang’s Mercury cousin has been one of the hottest cars at auction lately, with average sale prices up 37 percent and the number of cars offered up for bid up 18 percent. XR7 Convertibles are particularly hot. Thanks to classic Mustang’s tremendous popularity, the Cougar enjoys a large aftermarket for restoration and performance modification.

Link to full list here: https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/02/23/muscle-cars-that-are-heating-up

• Phillip