Ash Tray Bumpers or License Plate Bumpers?

Ok Fellahs,

I pulled out the rubber bumpers from my front and rear license plate brackets the other day and they pretty much fell apart on me. A small thing, I know, but I’d like to put the right parts back in place.

Mine look(ed) like this;

WCCC lists them as '67-'68 ash tray bumpers. With no size reference, it is hard to tell if they are the same or not.
The bumpers I have are made to fill about a 1/4" hole, and are about 1/2" long total.

So I guess I’m looking for confirmation that the ash tray bumpers are also correct for license plate bumpers.

Thanks, and have a good weekend, gang! (Hopefully I’ll be putting tail lights back on my car this weekend, if all goes well)

I’m on pins and needles here! I am so close to finished with my 5 year restore that I can taste it! I have a table set up with remaining and extra (due to replaced I hope) parts and the picture you posted is one of my parts that are left…actually I think I might have more than one of them! What is it???

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/375838a.html

Think these are correct Mike. Yours may have (as most do) gotten their “nose” pushed down some resulting in them looking more like what you posted than how they were originally. This is my recollection/analysis from when I looked over my originals.

You might be able to “prove” which is right by looking at the backs of them, do yours have a small, round with two flats stub or the type of stub in the picture you posted? The former is what all of mine were which points to the part I posted the link to.

Actually, the backs of mine look just like the picture I posted (the “ash tray bumper”), which is what made me ask the question. Some research shows that AMK has a rubber bumper that is very similar to the “ash tray bumper”, and they list it as “Ford License Plate” bumper. But the back side of the AMK repro is not quite the same as mine or the “ash tray” bumper.

Also, when I posted for front plate bracket help (http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2247), Steve (70 Cougar) posted some pics of his front plate bracket. It has the exact same rubber bumper in his as mine does (at least it appears that way to me ~ although mine is more “rough” than his).

Hey Mike. I looked at my front license plate rubber bumper and it looks very close to the WCCC picture you posted. I didn’t replace this as mine was somewhat in decent shape so I’m assuming it is original to the car. For my rear plate, it didn’t have any rubber bumpers when I took it off the car and I ended up buying the ones that Bob posted above.

Cheers,

I updated our listing for that bumper, it is the same as the picture. Bumper - License Plate - Repro ~ 1969 - 1970 Mercury Cougar ( 1969 Mercury Cougar, 1970 Mercury Cougar, 1969 Ford Mustang, 1970 Ford Mustang ) at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source

Shweet! Thanks Scott!