Beaches Cruise-In at PIR - 2013

Hey Fellahs,

I’m planning on hitting up the Beaches Cruise-In at Portland International Raceway next wednesday (Aug 28th).

They have thier cruise-in and drags every wednesday during the summer months, and I’ve wanted to check it out for a few years now but never cleared the calendar for it until now.

Details;

ET Drags and Beaches Cruise-in
Weekly on Wednesday (4pm - 10pm), until Sep 25, 2013
Description: ET drag racing on the 1/8th mile, plus 1000 hot rods, show cars and classics on the grass. This is the best weekly motorhead event in the country, complete with a night of great racing, the largest weekly cruise-in in the country, a band and great food and beverages. It’s two shows for the price of one!

Drag racing: Classes from juniors to Super Pro every week, with points and purse. $8 admission, from $28 to $40 to race. Gates open at 4 p.m. with first timed runs around 4:30, eliminations around 7 p.m. This is great bracket racing, with competitors dialing in a time. This means staggered starts and always close finishes at the top end. For more information: http://portlandraceway.com/?/events/upcoming_events

Beaches Cruise-in: Pre-1974 cars and trucks, Corvettes, Vipers, motorcycles and exotics are welcome on the show field. Free parking outside the gates for everyone else, and two shuttles run throughout the evening if you don’t want to make the short walk in.
Hours: 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Admission: see above
Sound limit: 103 db

It’s a great deal. $5 gets you, your car (and a passenger, I think) into the car show display grounds. They’ve been doing it for years, so it is very well organized. It’s always well-attended. The food and drink once you’re in there is a little on the expensive side, but the money does go to charity. (You are not supposed to bring in your own outside food and drink.)

First time I’ve been to it and it was an incredibly good time! Holy cow, I can’t believe they get THAT many different cars there EVERY week!
Beer, food, music, raffle, drag races, cars, cars and cars.

Here are some pics for the curious. Unfortunately I didn’t even make it through all the cars. But I did see a few of the cougar crowd there.
Definitely going to have to do this one again in a few weeks.

^a few of my coworkers’ vette’s.

…and me!

Man I love these trucks!

I know, right?! Every week throughout the summer and it’s only 5 bucks. Best deal in town. Only thing that keeps me from going more is fighting traffic to get there. Thanks for posting all the great pics.

Ditto, way cool.

Going to the PIR cruise again this week (Wed, Sept 11th). If you see me be sure to stop and say “hey” :slight_smile:

Gonna try to go again on the 25th since that will be thier last cruise this year.

I’m going to try and go the 25th as well–weather permitting :beerchug:

Weather isn’t looking too good right now, but last night the weather man said it should clear up wednesday afternoon. I’m hoping for the best!
Otherwise I’ll have to settle for driving the Cougar some on thursday / friday (supposed to be clear & sunny).

Too much rain for this cat :frowning:

Gonna try for Friday evening at the Dairy Queen in farmington instead.

I was willing to brave the rain in my slime Gold Mach, but it wouldn’t start! Apparently, IT didn’t want to get wet. I did make it up to WCCC with my afternoon “off,” tho, to pick up brake parts for this weekend’s work on the Cougar. Friday afternoon, the local hot rod shop down here is having an open house…I WILL get the Mach running tomorrow and do the cruise-in for a hot dog Friday.

Already looking like my Friday plans are going to get rained out. I’m in denial that summer is over. SIGH

Guess it is time to put the cat up for the winter (boo!) and start planning some projects (yay!).