Best Shop Manual for a 70??????

What’s the best shop/repair manual for a 70 Cougar? Book or DVD. I’d like something that shows good illustrations of the correct breakdown and assembly of all the major stuff.

The only one is the factory set of manuals. My preference is always have the original books but some folks like the DVD so they can just print off the pages they need at any given time. Having both would be the best of both worlds.

The Master Parts Catalog is a good resource with exploded view diagrams of virtually everything. The Shop Manuals have some of the same illustrations, but the MPC is more comprehensive and also helps if you are trying to find replacement part numbers, specific fasteners, etc. Also, there are Assembly Manuals available from your favorite vendors with another layer of information. Here is the MPC on ebay: MPC

The factory shop manaul is the best way to go. I have both. I like to print out sections for when in the shop.
You can get a digital copy here.
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/cd1007.html?attribs=79

Printed copy here.
https://autokrafters.com/c-208-printed_mercury-cougar-1970.aspx
I also have a digital copy of the Master parts catalog and it has been useful.

I am a fan of the factory books as well. I prefer paper to DVD personally so I can have the whole book at my toolbox rather then printing them out. I wish they still did printed manuals. Everything now is online based since the manufactures are constantly changing the manuals with updated procedures.

I’m going to order both I think. Can someone post a screenshot of the diagram of the 70 Power Disc Brakes in the meantime???

The Assembly Manuals can be useful as well. There are only two Cougar ones available to my knowledge.
Chassis - useful for drive train, suspension, engine hose routing etc.
and Weld and Sealant - useful for body work incl floor pans
The 1970 Mustang Interior and Electrical (dash wiring and component locations) Assembly manuals have been some what helpful as well.
Wiring diagrams are available on line free from WCCC, printed books from Jim Osborn and a colorized electronic set from Forel Publishing (source for the electronic Ford Shop Manuals).

I was in the same position as you a few years back. I ended up buying a low cost on line access (± $10-15 on ebay) to the 70 ford shop manual, and then I never purchased the printed copy because I was not impressed with diagrams & drawings AND there are numerous errors in paragraph numbering and references (that were well identified and corrected on the net copy). In short, I found this way was the most economical manner to have access to a piece of litterature that is a definite must , but not really meeting my expectations.

Question. I put the brakes back together last night. The freaking pads from AutoZone were so super thick, I had to grind them down on a belt sander to even make them fit back over the rotor!!! I bought a new hardware kit due to a few of the anti-rattle clips breaking. I assume those are really needed so I took the time to get them and put them back on. My first 70 Cougar must have been all drum brakes cause I don’t remember fighting these pins and clips!!!

Can someone tell me if I put this clip back on right? I assumed it goes on the TOP of the brake pad ear.

Clip (anti rattle) is in correct place.
Suggestion for anybody else w/ this pad issue.

The most likely issue is the piston is not pushed back far enough. A large “C” clamp works well to push the piston back flush w/ housing(caliper).

Make sure and clean & lube the surfaces the caliper, slide bolts & the area the pads slide on. A bit of anti rattle “glue” is also a good idea on the back of the pads.

5 volume set of factory service manuals. They’ll tell you what to do ,not to do, and in a few cases won’t tell you anything at all. But they’ll get you 99.9999…% there.

The ring-bound Wiring & Vacuum Diagram books can also be a valuable asset.

BSBECK - Not to be overly simplistic, but; make sure the cover is off the reservoir while you’re trying to compress the piston - and take a turkey baster to the front reservoir fluid level BEFORE you squeeze the piston.

Best tool for pressing the piston into the caliper:

Now that’s a nice gadget; and easier to make!

I bought the DVD and converted it to a book on my Ipad. Now I can search the manuals for key words. :slightly_smiling_face:

The Chilton’s and Haynes manuals are pretty useless. Don’t waste your time and money.

1 Like

Although I agree, I just can’t get rid of my Chilton’s, Hayne’s and Motor’s manuals from the 60’s - I’ve kind of become attached. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Guess what came today?! Actually delivered by a resident out on the main drag who found the package laying on the side of the road! Thanks Katie for your honesty!

1 Like