Bye-Bye MC.net

Wow… Wonder what that means?

I’m pretty sure it means that this forum rules.

Greetings, all!

I have to say, I’m one of those people who don’t know much about what is going on at the other site, other than it is under new management. I haven’t seen the moderator smackdowns others are discussing, but I’m probably not lookling/reading the correct threads.

If mc.net goes away, I for one will miss it. I found it to be a great resource, and cougar fans from all over used that site as the de-facto gathering place to talk about our cars. I’m not sure I understand why the new management would want to change things over there for change’s sake. This site, from what I’ve seen, is well on it’s way to being the new place to go, as more and more users migrate to this site only. It is very short-sighted to alienate all of the members who feel a certain connection to mc.net, but I’ll survive without it, if that’s the way it goes.

In the meantime, I’ll say hello and stretch my legs a bit here and have a look around. It never hurts to have more than one place to go to ask questions or read about possible solutions. I hope mc.net doesn’t shut down completely, because there is a ton of fantastic information out there for people looking for advice/tips.

As an admitted clueless person, could someone point me to the right place on mc.net so I can read about what has been going on over there? I don’t want to bog up this new place with static that doesn’t belong here. I’d just like to understand what is going on.

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting new folks out here as well as maintaining the relationships I’ve developed on mc.net.

Cheers!

PS, I like the smilie selection, but I don’t care for the ones that have a “chin”. To wit: :ugeek: OK, I made up this complaint.

You won’t find an explanation at MC.net for what happened, although you will find vague references to the aftermath. Suffice to say that there was a difference of opinion between a well-respected member of that forum and the moderator that resulted in the member being temporarily banned. That, in combination with the lack of improvements anticipated since Logan sold the site, were the watershed events that led to a lot of folks migrating to CCC. Many of us still keep an eye on MC.net as the site is far from defunct, but our new posting activity largely happens here.

I think this thread will explain a lot about the what and why.

http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=225

Basically, it comes down to this: I believe that we can do better than what Vertical Scope has done with MC.Net.

Vertical Scope is committed to making money, not the Cougar hobby. We are committed to the Cougar hobby.

The forum isn’t the website, it is the people who participate. So this statement concerns me a lot:

It is very short-sighted to alienate all of the members who feel a certain connection to mc.net,

Are we doing that? I am certainly trying not to do so, and if it is happening, I want to set the record straight, and to apologize to any one that has felt that way.

I tried to explain it this way once before: You don’t have to be mad at McDonald’s in order to go to In & Out. If we do a better job here, then people will decide for themselves what they like.

I never did get the idea that members were being alienated, more like they are being welcomed. After the discussion over the original issue (members being banned), I think folks are more or less growing weary of the new owners and lack of real cougar enthusiasm(advertising & ride of the month, or lack of)–imo!!

One thing that does concern me. The company that took over mc.net has other message board sites, right?

If so, they have to understand that the site wouldn’t exist without the members. Yes, the members need the location in which to congregate, post messages and pictures, etc. mc.net was that place for a lot of people. It still is for a lot of people.

But if people start migrating over here, there may come a time when that board’s traffic will slow, meaning less advertising dollars. That could ultimately bring about the collapse of mc.net for good, since like you say, they are in it for the money - not the hobby.

I didn’t get the sense anyone was alienating MCnetters. I spent countless hours there and enjoyed all of it. But since it was sold the whole atmosphere changed. It’s clear that the new management has no interest in what goes on on the site. How much effort would it take to get the ROTM thread started? Their only focus is on the money which is why the brought in useless vendors like NOPI. They are the short sighted ones, their actions are driving the core membership away. Fortunately Bill has given us a great place to gather, hopefully everyone will migrate here. Like others have said, it’s not the forum that is valuable it’s the members.

Well said Al and Bill. I feel that this site is a welcomed change for the Cougar faithful. MC.net changed that’s the fact. Why? Because it was sold by Logan (Cougar owner) to VS that just owns sites. The administrator (Helena) said she liked “souped up cars” and was going to get a cougar. I will bet money that hasn’t happened. It is just empty talk from the owners and administrator. I like this site better. Does everyone have to agree which is better? No, just visit the site that works for you. If MC.net does go away we can all say it was a good ride, I think that is a long way off. Just my two cents.
Steven

I posted on the “other site” a message to Helana ( i mispelled he name on purpose on the thread), asking her about the site. I wonder if she will respond…

Bill I sent messages to her about the ROTM on the other site and she never replied. So don’t hold your breath waiting she probably won’t answer. As Bob said “the writing is on the wall”.
Steven

Since logan decided to pull out of mc.net it seems that the mood has been pretty sour.I enjoy the photos from ECI bob but i think its time for a change as well. 10 + years i was there n now i think the site needs to tell everyone its going to close and bring the members here.

thanks
pat

Hey Pat!! Welcome!! Good to see you over here!! I’m sure a lot of you already know, but THIS is the guy that I was talking about buying my wheels from in my thread on the projects forum…
Chuck

Welcome Pat! Its great to have you here.
Steven

Just joined yesterday. Someone had already used my name. guess I didn’t join fast enough! Was able to set up same name as on mc.net except I spelled out the end of it instead of the number.

I have just joined here too - not because I necessarily have anything against MC.net, but because I will follow the knowledge. For those who do not recognise my username, my name is Sam, I am from Australia an orange 70 XR7 convertible. I often follow and occasionally post on MC.net and expect to do the same here.

I think I read above that jokes are welcome, so I think I will start a jokes thread on this site.

Cougar One –

There is only one, “Cougar 1” and it is sleeping quietly in the shop. As its’ guardian I occasionally use Cougar 1 as a handle :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard to all the new guys!

Whitepink, “Joke” thread is already started, under “BOOM!!”…

welcome gents!

Cougar1, Cool, you really have #1? I was just trying to get the same handle i had on mc.net.