C Pillar Lamp supposed to illuminate when the door opens?

On my 1969 XR7 the C pillar lamps only work when I activate the switch on the dash panel. I thought they were supposed to come on when the door was open as well.

The door and lower panel lights work when the door is open or with the panel switch or rotating the headlight switch.

Do I have a wiring glitch or is this the correct operation of the C Pillar lamp?

I just went through with this. Royce gave the answer. Get some contact spray cleaner and slide the switch back and forth. to clean the switch.

I am assuming that means the pillar light should illuminate when the door opens. I took the switches apart and cleaned them and they all worked great with the switch panel in my hand but I am wondering if the courtesy light lead is in the wrong hole for the door switch. I have the dash ready to install but checked the lights first and discovered the pillar light only works with the panel switch. I will check that out.

Problem solved. I needed to add a jumper with a male and female bullet plug to get everything connected between the door switch and the various leads for the courtesy lights. Works correctly now. Glad I checked before I installed the dash. Again!!