C6 tail shaft housing for GTE

Hello All,

Still cobbling the project together.
Current quest, among many are
what is the part/casting numbers for a bone-fide 427 GTE C6 Tail Housing? I’m interested in the physical dimensions. overall length mostly.
as I’ve mentioned before, we have a less-than-original drivetrain we’re working with. the tailshaft I have is a "C8OP-7A040-A ", which google’s to be from a 68 428CJ. 13 3/4 long Iron.
We’re trying to size the driveshaft length we’ll need and I’d really like to know if this tail shaft is close to being dimensionally correct. Ultimately, we’ll have to live with what we have and get it properly size.

also, if anyone knows of or has a correct Radiator Fan & Clutch and/or shroud, I may be interested. Repo’s are available and it may seem silly to still seek out original period correct parts when so much of the drivetrain is not numbers matching, but somehow it seems wrong to take the easy/cheap way out.

just for fun, here’s a picture of the radiator and hoses in, trans lines and such connected

Looks good, I think the tail shaft you have is the same length as the one you are looking for, the 427 GTE came with a PI transmission which came with the same tail shaft as all C6 had that fit your application.
On another note FYI, the water pump and thermostat housing should be painted blue, most all factory intake manifolds left the factory painted along with the bypass hose and clamps, also, the ported vacuum valve needs to be turned 1/4 turn tighter, pointing toward the engine.
Good luck with your build.

The radiator hose connection on the intake should not have a vacuum valve, the 427 GT-E did not use one.

The tail housing for the transmission should be the aluminum one used on all passenger cars except PI and CJ.

Royce,

What is the correct casting number on the GT-E Wcode thermostat housing?

And should it be painted blue? I remember your explanation regarding the aluminum PI intake manifold would have some blue overspray from the factory, but I am unclear as to what the thermostat housing finish should be.

If your restoration includes an all aluminum intake with zero ford blue paint, then a thermo housing painted Ford blue would look kinda out of place. correct or not. Thanks.

Royce,
You should know that the 427 came with a PI transmission, and to TomL, If you want your engine to look correct, everything should be painted blue, anytime you see a unpainted manifold, you can be sure that the engine has been replaced .Royce is not the only FE person in town, but he is right about the vacuum valve

This is from Jim Pinkerton the GTe Reg.

Registered Member

Re: GT-E 427 intake manifold - painted or bare?

Report this post

Postby Cougar1 » 01 Oct 2014, 04:40
Of the 88 GT-Es I’ve personally seen, perhaps 6 are known to be original (untouched in terms of such changes) and the evidence is that they all came painted blue from the factory. Also, the process at the engine plant is well known – all engines were assembled to long block configuration and then painted and either shipped to the plant for production installation, or to service parts for distribution through the parts system. I personally like the look of them unpainted and changed several of mine to reflect that. Technically, from a concours judging perspective, it would be incorrect unless painted blue.
Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar

The GT-E did not come with a PI transmission. The C6 used in the 427 Cougar GT-E and the Shelby GT500 428-4V (NOT GT500 KR) is code PGB-W. It was not shared with any other applications.

Royce is correct that both 427 GTE and GT500 came with the same C6. The original poster mentioned that he had an “iron” tailshaft which would only be used on CobraJet C6. Correct for a GTE with the 428.

Wow! A lot of info since I last logged in. Thanks everyone.
So, the thermostat housing gets a plug instead of the vacuum fitting. It should be blue, but I like it matching the Intake. this car will never get to the high points category due to the drive-train ‘accommodations’ being made.
The intake heater hose connection is quite literally seized in it’s current forward pointing angle. tried most everything to get it out short of cutting it off, taping it out/in. yet another thing I’ll be living with on this build.
The tail shaft I have is probably the right length and but incorrectly iron for a 428CJ, notthe 427 I have. Oh well, assuming I live long enough, perhaps one day it I will get the right pieces and part together.