Carter M4539 Fuel pump wrong fitting

I just purchased this fuel pump for my 68 428 engine. The pump fits the engine but the outlet to the carb does not have the same fitting. The port in the carb does not match the original one so the original fitting cannot be used. Has anyone experienced this problem? What fitting did you use to get it to work.

Jack has these…

Like Bill says the pump has an adapter that screws into it allowing the 5/16" reverse flare fitting to fit the 1/4" NPT outlet of the fuel pump. While the Dead Nuts On piece fits perfectly, the same fitting is available for about half that price at my nearby Ace Hardware store.

Good call Royce!

This is the description from Dead Nuts On “This is the brass fitting that connects an original Carter Fuel pump threaded outlet to the pressure hard tube line.”. The fuel pump I purchased does not have an original size threaded outlet. I have the original outlet brass fitting and it is larger than the threaded outlet in the new pump. I don’t know what size the outlet is. I talked to Carter directly and they said it was my problem to figure it out.

I gave you all the sizes of both the OEM and replacement Carter pumps.