Center AC Vent and Ignition Kill Switch

Good Morning To All,

I currently have the upper dash of Pole Cat apart doing some up grades and fixing a few things that have bothered me. I am doing the Rocketman 3 wire tach conversion for piece of mind on the dreaded tach issue.

I have a thought though, is there any reason not to install a hidden switch to kill the ignition via the old tachometer connection? Any pros or cons? The ability to have a little security is the only reason I am thinking of doing this.

Now in regard to the Center AC vent, the vacuum motor works fine and the plastic lever is in good shape. However, when the vacuum motor opens the little door it strokes farther than it needs to. When it does this the little plastic lever arm gets deflected and put under considerable stress. Adjustment is possible on the linkage but does not help the situation. In fact, the best operation is when I leave the adjustment locking screw loose and allow the linkage to slide up and down the slotted hole. This actually works quite well but I don’t want to leave it like that. At least not yet. I may fabricate a devise to allow the sliding so I don’t have to worry about it coming apart after I have the dash put back together.

With all of that being said, what about limiting the stroke of the vacuum motor? Has anyone out there limited the stroke of one of these motors? Has anyone had one apart as I am guessing the diafram just bottoms out in the bottom of the motor cylinder? I have a couple of ideas to limit the stroke.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts or comments.

Gary

That’s what I did. :thumbup:

to reply to your post,
With all of that being said, what about limiting the stroke of the vacuum motor? Has anyone out there limited the stroke of one of these motors? Has anyone had one apart as I am guessing the diafram just bottoms out in the bottom of the motor cylinder? I have a couple of ideas to limit the stroke.

I have player around with limiting the stroke, one way is to drill a small hole in the arm at the point that you want to limit the stroke and install a small #4 screw, the other is to lengthen the arm by adding a short piece.

Do tell about the kill switch. I would be very interested in doing that. There is an extra rocker switch not being used in the center of the dash on my XR7. How would you go about wiring one up? I will be taking my dash apart this summer…again, and that would be a great time to hook up a kill switch.

I am not a big fan of typical kill switches that just open the power circuit that feeds the coil. Most thieves know how to hot wire a car under the hood and that will defeat the kill switch. However, if you are running a Pertronix or other electronic ignition you have more opportunities to make things difficult. Lift in the power to the Pertronix will defeat most attempts at hot wiring.

Agreed Bill. I used the white wire kill feature on the MSD 6AL (which is stealth installed behind the PS upper dash). I’d venture to say there is no way a would be thief can hot wire Isabel. It looks all stock under the hood but is actually a Duraspark triggering a 6AL. Soon will be a programmable digital 6AL-2.

UPDATE:

First I would like to thank everyone for the kill switch advice, I will be incorporating some of that.

On the AC center vent, As I mentioned in my original post the vacuum motor and the linkage worked best when I simply left the adjusting screw loose. So after about a week of trying to think of another or better way I decided to go that route with a permanent fix. Here is a short video of what I ended up with.

Video

I wanted to use a small shoulder screw but we didn’t have any at work so like a little kid who wants instant results I fabricated one out of a socket head cap screw and a threaded insert nut. The slot in the existing linkage had to be opened up to 1/4" and the slot had to be elongated upwards by 1/8". I could not believe the tension put on these parts by the vacuum motor. The stroke was way too much. I did not go with shortening the stroke of the vacuum motor as I was afraid of stopping the shaft mid stroke and having the vacuum pulling on the diaphragm like that.

For those who like diagrams, here you go:

I hope this helps someone in the future, Gary