Chasing Unicorns

As long as I’m here I may as well try and make use of the knowledge and helpfulness of the community. I may never find what I’m looking for, but I definitely won’t if I don’t get the word out.

First up:

A correctly dated 4088 carb for my GT-E with a build date of Aug 21, 1967. From what I’ve read there’s only one batch that will work. I already have a service replacement with the correct metering blocks, etc. that will suffice for now. So I’m really only looking for the right one.

Next:

An original set of GT-E exhaust tips. I would either buy, borrow or rent them and have a set made myself if necessary. I know someone that can do the work, but he would need a pattern. There’s been a lot of talk about this being done already, but that was years ago before my hiatus and nothing has emerged yet that I’ve seen. And it doesn’t seem like the question of when ever gets answered.

I do believe those are the only things I need that are of any consequence. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

You missed them by a couple weeks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-MERCURY-COUGAR-GTE-ORIGINAL-ROLLED-EDGE-EXHAUST-TIPS-EXTENSIONS-/121959640484?hash=item1c655c6da4:g:WWEAAOSw~oFXE9i8&vxp=mtr

Yes I know. That’s pretty much the story of my life.

What is the Ford number on the air horn and date code?

Part Number is C8AF-9510-AD. The two that just sold on ebay were 7A which doesn’t work for me. I’ll have to find the post Royce made about the first run and what they were date coded.

Found it. 78? or Aug '67. Not sure which week it would be but my car was built the third week so it’s either 1 or 2.

Get a hold of Ray Bishcoff. He has made some in the past. That might be your best bet.

Swap meet season is starting and there is always alot of Holleys for sale so I’ll watch. Two years ago at Canfield Ohio swap meet guy had about 10 milk crates with Holleys in various forms of assembly. I found a 68.5 CJ “AB” middle section for $35.

I’d be forever in your debt if you found one. I’d even have Peg add you to our Christmas card list. :slight_smile:

Didn’t you hear? Peg ran off with a Biker… :whistle:

Hey let’s throw this one in the mix too. A good quality hood blanket.

Hey look! Pinkerton’s neighbor is selling your engine block…

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/5598157491.html

I might have entertained that a couple years ago. I’d still be interested in a short block though…

I’d still be interested in a short block though.

You’re onto it. Ya gotta ask yourself…If you’re gunna build a Frankenstein engine, why would you blend very rare and desirable parts with “run of the mill” stuff. This guy would have made more money and better served the hobby if he would have been a little more thoughtful in his use/outlets for the components.

Al,
To keep everyone coming back, it would be great to see a few photos of #33. Are you brining it to one of the 2017 events planed for the 50th Anniversary.

I can take some for you. I doubt I will have it ready for 2017, but I have actually restarted on in recently. If Peg would be willing to let me retire,then maybe…

Al,
Any progress on your search? Have you located any of your wish list or added more items to it?

Gavin